Debian To Stop Spinning New CD ISOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phexe View Post

Yeah I've just been DD'ing Linux ISO's to usb for a while now and they usually just work
    And if it doesn't work, it usually means the ISO isn't hybrid. You can make it hybrid at the command line with the isohybrid command (part of the syslinux package).

Comment

I feel old. I remember when they dropped floppy disk images.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Meh, optical media seems rather dead if you ask me.

Many computers don't even have optical drives.
        I prefer to install over USB with a flash memory stick.
        Discs have a great advantage, which is allowing for mdsums to be easily done and verify if the media matches the original.

I didn't have time to read the mailing list, but as long as their "mini.iso" (30 MB) still exists, I'm all in for this idea.

Comment

Now let also drop DVD insanity (does anyone in sane mind would really burn so many DVDs?) and just make a decent live+install images like Ubuntu (and *buntu derivatives) did ages ago. Then they can target flash drives, etc. Needless to say, 4Gb Flash is far more convenient than DVD, and 32Gb flash beats a crap out of DVD stack for sure.

As for blue rays: it failed to take off. Most computers around me just do not have blue-ray drives (and some do not have CD/DVD reader at all, e.g. it way too heavy and power hungry for most notebooks).

Comment

Working...
          X