Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a distribution that allows booting from a read-only nfs root file system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a distribution that allows booting from a read-only nfs root file system?

Hello,

my research project is going to get a few new toys soon, and I'd like to save myself the trouble of manually upgrading and administrating 10 equally configured computers. But there's an eleventh toy, with fast disks and 10Gbit ethernet, so why don't I install the OS into a separate filesystem on the fileserver, export it read-only and have the 10 clients use that?

I've read a few tutorials on how to do it, but they all had two things in common: a) they were old, b) they required the root filesystem to be mounted from a writeable nfs share, which prevents multiple machines from booting from the same share at the same time.

I've read that the systemd project is trying to solve this problem (not for net boot, but for virtual containers, though it is basically the same problem), but I cannot find any distribution that has these features integrated, documented and supported.

Has anyone done something similar? Is there a distribution where this is a supported configuration, and not just a set of hacks?

Thanks!
    rohcQaH
Working...
X