X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notimportant
    replied
    To the author of the article:

You keep referring to the artistic license in regards to artwork... do you even know what the artistic license is or did you just assume that its related to artwork due to its name?

The artistic license is a SOFTWARE license and has nothing to do with artwork per se. Might be a good idea to read it: http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_1_0

Might also be a good idea to look at the scope of the artistic license within F10: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Artistic1Removal -- you'll note that it only affects the packages d4x, pgadmin3, qstat, rman, and a handful of perl modules, NONE of which relate to Fedora artwork.

Leave a comment:

• SyXbiT
    replied
    yea, but like i said
    my reason for buying a gfx card for linux is based on compiz and dvd/divx playback, not gaming, cause gaming isn't up to much in linux.
    is the 4870 better for compiz/dvd playback in linux over the 8800/9800 ?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    A 9800 GTX is only 5% faster without OC than the 8800 GTS 512 (as it is the same G92 chip).

Leave a comment:

• SyXbiT
    replied
    i have an 8800GTS G92 from 8 last year.
    was the best bet then.
    i wanna buy a 4870, but i'm just not sure ATI drivers are ready yet.
    phoronix should really run a high end comparison
    a 9800 vs 4870
    i don't care so much about benchmarks, as i game in windows
    but i want to know all compatibility stuff
    movie playback, compiz, etc..

Leave a comment:

• remm
    replied
    You've got to realize that the binary blob is going nowhere really fast though. As for throwing this sort of money in a NV card, I think the 9600 GT or 9800 GT are very fast (not as good a deal as a HD 4850, but quite decent).

Leave a comment:

• SyXbiT
    replied
    progress?
    i'm not spending $300 on a card, for 2D graphics!

Leave a comment:

• remm
    replied
    nouveau is making progress though.

Leave a comment:

• SyXbiT
    replied
    i was talking about the reason why nvidia cards (running blob) can't use plymouth, cause the driver needs kernel-based mode-setting support.
    so far that's only intel, with ati to follow soon

Leave a comment:

• fackamato
    replied
    Originally posted by mmmbop View Post
    As someone with an affected Nvidia card (I tried all the tricks and run the beta driver), I can say that it is a horrible experience. There are frequent 1-2 second pauses where all the graphics freeze except the mouse cursor. Animations and movies that my older card could handle fine bring this newer card to a crawl. Be warned.

The nv driver isn't as bad as the blob, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

The problem is largely distro-neutral, although Windows is not affected.
    I've got a mobile 8-series card aswell (8600M GT to be precise), and I have similar problems, although not as severe, so I know what you're talking about. But it's at least usable for me, in gnome.

Leave a comment:

• mmmbop
    replied
    Originally posted by fackamato View Post
    What's wrong with nvidia cards? I mean, why would it stop you from using Fedora?
    As someone with an affected Nvidia card (I tried all the tricks and run the beta driver), I can say that it is a horrible experience. There are frequent 1-2 second pauses where all the graphics freeze except the mouse cursor. Animations and movies that my older card could handle fine bring this newer card to a crawl. Be warned.

The nv driver isn't as bad as the blob, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

The problem is largely distro-neutral, although Windows is not affected.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X