Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Finally Fixing Its Annoying GRUB Setting

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Finally Fixing Its Annoying GRUB Setting

An annoying setting of Ubuntu's GRUB configuration is going to be finally addressed in Ubuntu 15.10 and will be addressed in current Ubuntu releases via a stable release update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, so maybe on servers it won't just hang forever waiting for you to press a key when it can't find a drive on reboot.
    Proof that Ubuntu really isn't a server operating system until they fix stupid things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
      Nice, so maybe on servers it won't just hang forever waiting for you to press a key when it can't find a drive on reboot.
      Proof that Ubuntu really isn't a server operating system until they fix stupid things like this.
      Aren't there Ubuntu servers running in production?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Many, I believe Spotify runs on Ubuntu as well. Ubuntu is also big on the cloud.

Comment

Definitely. I'm running Ubuntu Server in my home environment.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Sure, and I've worked on plenty of customers servers that get stuck on reboot.
            It's not like I'm making this up.
            I'm actually genuinely glad to see them changing things like that so I won't have to deal with it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
              Isn't that a misfeature of the new mount init written for systemd? I started seeing it a few months ago. Who ever wrote that didn't understand the word 'auto' in mount option. It means automatic, not break and force the user to boot with sysv.
              Last edited by carewolf; 03 July 2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                Isn't that a misfeature of the new mount init written for systemd? I started seeing it a few months ago. Who ever wrote that didn't understand the word 'auto' in mount option. It means automatic, not break and force the user to boot with sysv.
                I'm no fan of systemd, but no, this is an issue that's been around a long time and it looks like they're fixing it, so I probably shouldn't complain too much.
                I seriously wasn't trying to annoy anyone, but it's just something I've seen way too often, and more than likely if you knew what you were doing you could avoid it anyway.

Comment

Grub and the kernel can be configured to work with a serial console and a VGA console in parallel. Maybe this saves work for you.

Comment

For benchmarkers who are the absolute minority - that's _the_ annoying setting. For us users, it's the slow select up and down of an OS in the grub menu on HD monitors.

Comment

Working...
                    X