Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snappy Version Of Ubuntu's Desktop-Next Built For i386

Phoronix: Snappy Version Of Ubuntu's Desktop-Next Built For i386

Will Cooke of Canonical shared this morning that they have got the first Snappy build of Ubuntu Desktop Next built for i386...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really interesting, did anyone try snappy ? What we can expect from an Ubuntu+snappy experience ?

Comment

I haven't tried it yet but Ubuntu needs its own package manager and I can barely wait till it gets shipped on desktop. One of better moves from Canonical recently imho.

Comment

I haven't read too much on the working of this new Snappy system, but just out of curiosity, couldn't deb packages be built with all the dependencies included such that when installing it doesn't request outside libs, that way we can all continue using the installation tools such as apt-get, synaptic, muon, and gdebi? But I guess this is Canonical/Ubuntu where not invented here syndrome and fondness of re-inventing the wheel are commonplace.

Comment

Yep.... Apparently round isn't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
            I haven't read too much on the working of this new Snappy system, but just out of curiosity, couldn't deb packages be built with all the dependencies included such that when installing it doesn't request outside libs, that way we can all continue using the installation tools such as apt-get, synaptic, muon, and gdebi? But I guess this is Canonical/Ubuntu where not invented here syndrome and fondness of re-inventing the wheel are commonplace.
            I guess this is Phoronix where people have no problem maligning Canonical even after admitting (one sentence earlier no less) that they haven't even read much about the situation. Deb packages can not do everything that Snappy does. You have the vast internet at your disposal to learn about why if you chose to.

Comment

Snappy packages are basically debs on steroid. Just open them with an archive viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Snappy packages are basically debs on steroid. Just open them with an archive viewer.
                In other words, they are debs with the sink, the curtains, and the vegetable garden thrown in. It tries to throw every dependancy into a single package, which has proven time and time again to be exactly the wrong thing to try to do.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  It tries to include runtime dependencies into the package. But when Ubuntu with snappy turns out to consume way more RAM and disk space and performance is magnitudes worse, that's when people will remember that this lesson was already learned 2 decades ago.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is very similar to project atomic (i.e., rpmtree). You'd still need deb packages to provide the building material, but the delivery and installation would be completely different.

Comment

Working...
                    X