Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 Turns To OpenJDK 6

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 Turns To OpenJDK 6

For those of you interested in open-source Java and are Ubuntu users, you'll be pleased to know that OpenJDK 6 was promoted to Ubuntu main and has now become the default Java Run-Time Environment (JRE) and Java Development Kit (JDK) starting with Ubuntu 8.10. OpenJDK is the open-source version of Java and is compliant with version 6 of Java...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Off-topic, but where is Intel X4500 graphics performance test we were promised?

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
      Why would you post such a question on such an unrelated topic. There are other forums for questions like those. Don't be lazy and start a new thread instead of tacking on useless comments on unrelated posts.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
        Tomorrow or Friday... testing has completed its just a matter of when we decide to publish it.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

On-topic: Is this based in any way on Sun's Java source code? Changes like these have a tendency to break things.

Comment

I use Fedora 9 and I was disappointed when I found out, that OpenJDK doesn't include the Java plugin for Firefox.

Read: you will still have to download Sun's Java

Comment

Well there is an open plugin, it just does not work with the websites I use. Until a website requires Java 1.5/1.6 the best to use is still 1.4.2 for Linux.

Comment

Do you know if there are plans on open sourcing the plugin also?

Comment

The OpenJDK is now the same as Sun's JDK. ( http://twit.tv/floss33 )
                  Also, I'd like to see gnash bundled with Ubuntu soon.

Comment

On-topic: Is this based in any way on Sun's Java source code?
                    Yep, openJDK is 95% or so original sun java source code...

Also, I'd like to see gnash bundled with Ubuntu soon.
                    Isn't gnash in ubuntu for a few releases yet?

Comment

Working...
                    X