Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Plans For Changing Fedora's Installer

Phoronix: Future Plans For Changing Fedora's Installer

Over the last couple weeks there has been an "Anaconda Wishlist" thread occurring on Fedora's desktop mailing list. The thread, and the associated Workstation Working Group meeting, are directed at the future of the Fedora Anaconda Installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This can cause trouble for spins with other DEs. Why not remove/disable duplicate features from gnome itself?

Comment

None of the changes listed should cause too large of a problem for KDE or other spins-- I say as a user of the KDE spin, and the author of the article.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        This can cause trouble for spins with other DEs. Why not remove/disable duplicate features from gnome itself?

It wouldn't cause any trouble at all for other spins since as the article mentions, it would be a workstation specific change. Anaconda as part of the rewrite has become pretty modular and can handle such changes. The debate is more centered around usability concerns and the timeline.

Comment

Anaconda = a reason to not try Fedora (sadly)

Comment

I have only one wish for Anaconda. Improve performance. Compared to Debians Installer, Anaconda is damn horribly slow. You can find detailed informations here:

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
              I have only one wish for Anaconda. Improve performance. Compared to Debians Installer, Anaconda is damn horribly slow. You can find detailed informations here:
              Candy I didn't read every comment in that bug report but isn't that restricted to a 7hr install in a virtualized environment? Granted it should be fixed but actual real-hardware installs don't take that long
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Talk about incompetent people, they needed a year and feedback to hopefully realize their design is shit.

Comment

There were benefits to the current design.

The biggest issue I had was one of having to silently trusting it would work.

Previously there was an option to remove all linux partitions and install Fedora to that space. More or less a safe option when you are dual booting.

Now you had to trust that that is what it would do and that it wouldnt clobber the bootloader etc - it didn't, but I only learnt that by installing Fedora from a position where I had no certainty that it would do the right thing.

Comment

I usually defend Fedora with passion (I literally use it to drive my company), but as far as the new Anaconda goes, I really dislike it.
                    I couldn't care less about the general design, application selection and the rest of the spokes, but the new disk partition spoke is still years behind the old parted-magic like disk partition engine - especially once you start dealing with complex, multiple disk w/ complex MDRAID setups.

In Fedora's defence, the disk partition engine has improved considerably in the last two or three releases, and its now fairly usable if you know what you're doing.
                    Never the less, I still wish they'd return to the old design...

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X