Fedora 22 Marches Closer To Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Just got done a little bit ago install RC2 (was quick without issue). Aside from that HandBrake repo not setting the right release name or something in the URL (it worked fine when on Fedora 22 Beta; fixed by manual URL entry), everything else seems great.

I use XOrg GNOME and disabled the Wayland login (doesn't really benefit anything afaik until I can use GNOME with Wayland comfortably).

Leave a comment:

• rxonda
    replied
    I installed Fedora 22 on my Razer Blade 14.
    Cant use X because it freezes on logging out.
    Im giving Wayland a try, and got a few problems:
    - Two finger scroll is laggy.
    - Right trackpad button doesn't work.
    - Left trackpad button only works if you are touching the trackpad
    - Wayland dont have copy and paste yet.
    Cant say much than this. Ill try install java and IntelliJ to see how it performs in xWayland.

Leave a comment:

• MartinK
    replied
    Originally posted by Candy View Post
    Anaconda took almost 7 hours to install!

I tried to install Fedora 22 Beta last weekend (could be an RC as well, the Workstation Netinstall from their site) and was caught by Anaconda taking almost 7 hours to install Fedora 22 on VirtualBox.

I am still into decision process whether I really like to switch from Fedora 20 to Fedora 22 or Debian Jessie. So far I am still with Fedora 22 because I know the repositories, know the packages and overall am very happy with it. Sadly the Installer is slow. Slow doesn't mean that it's badly programmed. Slow as in slow performance.
    Well, there is slow and installing-for-7-hours-slow. This really can't be about performance but about something being broken.

I know the installation process depends on many factors. Speed of CPU, Speed of Harddisk, Free Memory or Host System and so on. But I also tried a Debian Jessie Installation not long ago on the same System and their installer took less than 1 hour to completely install Debian from Netinstall. Both package sets are quite similar. XFCE, Libreoffice, Firefox and so on. I also retried installing Fedora using their nightly TC4 release (Netinstall), same issue. Almost 7 hours again.

Specs: Lenovo E-320 (4gb ram / 320gb hd / E-450 APU) running Fedora 20. Internet is Kabeldeutschland with 100mbit (12.5mb/s).
    I would recommend also trying a live image installation - that would eliminate networking issues from the equation (installation from a Live image rsyncs content of the Live image filesystem to the target system).

I'd really wish, the performance bottlenecks during installation using Anaconda will be tracked down and fixed in the upcoming versions of Fedora. I still belive that Python (which iirc is used by Anaconda) is the root cause of the huge and massive slowdown during installation process.
    That's highly improbable - unless you are triggering a massive performance regression in Python. I have seen people doing instlations that took less that two minutes from booting to the installation environment to being able to login to the installed system. For more info you can check Fast OS Deployment with Anaconda here:
    This years Flock conference was held at Prague, czech republic. This was my first trip to the Europe. I needed a Visa for this trip unlike my American friends. I got the visa in the last minute fro…

I reported a bug in bugzilla and hope, the issues are being solved in the near future. This weekend I might reinstall Fedora once again to give usefull logs to the maintainers.
    Thanks in advance! We can do much without checking the logs to see whats happening and where does the slowdown happen. BTW, looks there has been another user reporting a similar issue - provided it is not caused by the network connection in his case.

Leave a comment:

• Rezza
    replied
    Well, I have two news - bad and good . RC2 is No-Go but we don't slip! At least not now. It means overnight work for many of us but it was just bad timing. Very rare data loss issue while doing discard on top of RAID0 Internetz talks these days about... And this is the main reason why we stand behind slips, when needed - we release Fedora for users, not for sleepless nights validating it! To be honest, we can't fix all issues but we have to try to fix the most important ones we think our users will appreciate!

Leave a comment:

• zbyszek
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I'm looking more forward to version 23 to see the state of Wayland.
    No need to wait. gnome on wayland is already available, albeit not the default, on F22.

I've been using it for a while now, and while there are some glitches (most notably related to pasting stuff...), it mostly works.

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    Cool, I didn't think it was this soon. I'm looking more forward to version 23 to see the state of Wayland. But the sooner 22 is out then the sooner 23 comes I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• rmiller
    replied
    I tried to install Fedora 22 Beta last weekend (could be an RC as well, the Workstation Netinstall from their site) and was caught by Anaconda taking almost 7 hours to install Fedora 22 on VirtualBox.
    I know the installation process depends on many factors. Speed of CPU, Speed of Harddisk, Free Memory or Host System and so on. But I also tried a Debian Jessie Installation not long ago on the same System and their installer took less than 1 hour to completely install Debian from Netinstall. Both package sets are quite similar. XFCE, Libreoffice, Firefox and so on. I also retried installing Fedora using their nightly TC4 release (Netinstall), same issue. Almost 7 hours again.

Specs: Lenovo E-320 (4gb ram / 320gb hd / E-450 APU) running Fedora 20. Internet is Kabeldeutschland with 100mbit (12.5mb/s).
    Sometimes repositories are really slow. The live iso would be a better option.

Leave a comment:

• Creak
    replied
    With Manjaro GNOME crashing frequently or having graphics glitches everywhere with the open source radeon drivers, and Arch Linux too complex to install frequently, and Debian being already too old even if the release is 2 weeks old, and Ubuntu doing their stuff locally, I think Fedora is the most promising desktop distro that have it all: a huge community, a nice stabilization process and relatively recent packages.

The last thing that was a problem for me, was the package system, but apparently yum fixes that... I will definitely give Fedora a try once it is released!

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Will Give a Fedora 21(KDE) --> Fedora 22 (KDE) Review once its actually released. KDE since 1) I use KDE more than gnome, but also 2) KDE is actually a major upgrade since its 4.x to 5.x

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    I know the installation process depends on many factors. Speed of CPU, Speed of Harddisk, Free Memory or Host System and so on.
    True, but installing a linux distro like this shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes even on a 15-year-old P4 computer. This is certainly a bug or a hardware issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X