Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 10 Codenamed "Cambridge"

Phoronix: Fedora 10 Codenamed "Cambridge"

Cambridge was the Red Hat project that went on to form Fedora Core and it was the release name for Fedora Core 1. Now with Fedora 10, Red Hat has gone full-circle and its codename is Cambridge...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

awssome. I hope they add apt-get like features in yum. hopefully this wont be as unstable as fedora 9.

Comment

My favorite code-name for Fedora has got to be F8 Werewolf, hehe.

Some of the features due in 10 look rather interesting to me. I have skipped F9 on my main systems until now, and probably will wait for F10 (for starters GDM greeter in F9 is horrible). And Cambridge sounds good...

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
        My favorite code-name for Fedora has got to be F8 Werewolf, hehe.

Some of the features due in 10 look rather interesting to me. I have skipped F9 on my main systems until now, and probably will wait for F10 (for starters GDM greeter in F9 is horrible). And Cambridge sounds good...
        +1. I too loved the name Werewolf. The logo of Fedora also looked vaguely like the number 8. It was simply awssome.

Hopefully, these features will actually be STABLE, and not cause the system to screw up. If luck permits, we might see a highly stable and complete KDE4.1.x with EXT4 and ReiserFS4.

Comment

Don't know about Reiser4, but Ext4 is already there in 9 (though I know many, like myself, are skipping 9). I hope that by 10 XServer 1.5 is stable, and that they won't release it with yet another development snapshot of 1.6 or some such. But in the end users like us have a saying in it (even if they don't consider our input, we can at least let them know our feelings)

Comment

I think Werewolf has been the coolest name so far. Ironically I think also that this release has been the best release of fedora to date. True the gdm greet screen blows, and we've got mandrake-style stupid graphics all over the place, but one trip to digitalblasphemy.com will take care of those problems. The main thing is that the release is rock solid.

It's worthy to note that as of right now, F9 does not support ati, because it's xorg-server is at 1.4.99. Werewolf has a mature set of package updates, plus an up-to-date kernel, has been thoroughly debugged, and since it has xorg-server 1.3, it runs the latest ATI drivers like a champ. Fedoraunity.org has released a re-spin of the distro that includes all updates to the time of the re-spin publishing.

Fedora 8 Werewolf is definitely the sweet spot. I think it will continue to be that way for some time to come.

Best Regards,

LX

Comment

Working...
            X