X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creak
    replied
    Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
    I've always thought about trying tumbleweed but the advantages always seemed too small compared to the potential problems, with Nvidia drivers in particular.
    I actually tried a few rolling releases distributions for the past two years (Arch Linux, Tumbleweed and Manjaro Gnome). And after this lonnnng journey, I think I'm over with rolling releases. My conclusion is that it is just not stable enough. And now, most of the new stuff I wanted two years ago (mainly GNOME 3 and the latest mesa drivers) are in the more "regular" distros.

I was a huge fan of Debian, but clearly the distribution is already too old (for desktop use) even though it just got out! I also liked the simplicity of Ubuntu, before they went berserk and started to code everything from scratch, so it's a no-go for me. My experience with openSuse was not the best one ever, especially the package system which might be one of the worst I've ever used (it's pretty much like Windows, but instead of having to find the right websites to download your applications from, you have to find the right repo *and* the right repo version... it's a mess, and it's even worse with the Factory/Tumbleweed transition going on).

So, in the end, Fedora seems to be the most reliable desktop distribution out there. I'll be glad to test it as soon as it is released!

I've already tested it in VM and I was already impressed by the simplicity of the installator, the environment is pretty smooth, except that it is through a VM, so it is a big sluggish and I can't test it directly on the metal. But I'm eager to test that!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So even though F22 is planned to release later this month; can I run the latest image of it now and just update packages that come out on release?

I'm looking to wipe my machine in the near future, and can't wait until later this month, and really want to use Fedora

Leave a comment:

• timex
    replied
    Originally posted by GuercH View Post
    for those having the "Oh no" issue try this, update your processor microcode, boot using a single monitor, and with no periferals attached (no wacom no nothing just use mouse + keyboard)
    You was right, the problem was my Wacom connected. I just unpluged it and now works perfectly

Leave a comment:

• Doodzor
    replied
    Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post

Fedora has been on my main desktop since F20 along with GNOME 3
    I had tried Fedora a few times before F20 and had stability/quality issues that really put me off, but I've always liked Fedora's goals. GNOME 3.8 was also the first usable release in my opinion, too. While GNOME 3 is really nice today, it was quite broken when it was first released.

As for openSUSE, I really wanted to switch to Tumbleweed after it recently became what was once Factory, but after looking through some of its packages I decided it was a bit too outdated in some parts for a rolling release and that I would wait until more maintainers started working on Tumbleweed. This has probably changed greatly since then.

I've always thought about trying tumbleweed but the advantages always seemed too small compared to the potential problems, with Nvidia drivers in particular.

Leave a comment:

• Ouroboros
    replied
    Originally posted by Doodzor View Post

Regardless of whether you end up using Fedora or not (I personally prefer openSUSE Gnome to Fedora myself) I definitely recommend you give Gnome a fair shot. There's a lot of Gnome hate on the internet most of which is unfounded garbage. It's not for everyone of course and people are certainly free to chose whatever they like best. But to listen to internet forums you'd think nobody ever tried Gnome Shell and liked it, nobody uses it, it's objectively bad proven by science, the Gnome team hates freedom and kills puppies, etc. etc.
    Fedora has been on my main desktop since F20 along with GNOME 3
    I had tried Fedora a few times before F20 and had stability/quality issues that really put me off, but I've always liked Fedora's goals. GNOME 3.8 was also the first usable release in my opinion, too. While GNOME 3 is really nice today, it was quite broken when it was first released.

As for openSUSE, I really wanted to switch to Tumbleweed after it recently became what was once Factory, but after looking through some of its packages I decided it was a bit too outdated in some parts for a rolling release and that I would wait until more maintainers started working on Tumbleweed. This has probably changed greatly since then.

Leave a comment:

• Doodzor
    replied
    Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    Ugh, I was going to go KDE with F22 and try to make it similar to my Windows machine, but I think I'm going to do GNOME + Wayland once F22 is out.
    Regardless of whether you end up using Fedora or not (I personally prefer openSUSE Gnome to Fedora myself) I definitely recommend you give Gnome a fair shot. There's a lot of Gnome hate on the internet most of which is unfounded garbage. It's not for everyone of course and people are certainly free to chose whatever they like best. But to listen to internet forums you'd think nobody ever tried Gnome Shell and liked it, nobody uses it, it's objectively bad proven by science, the Gnome team hates freedom and kills puppies, etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

• ChristianSchaller
    replied
    Hi, The nouveou issues some people mentions here should be fixed in the final build of Fedora Workstation 22. Ben Skeggs our resident Nouveou expert got a fix that is now both in Fedora and upstream

As for those experiencing the '"oh no something was wrong message", if you are able to add a comment on https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1221374 and provide the requested stacktrace that would be wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Adekyn
    replied
    Fedora 22... is not running fantastically on VMware (Player or Fusion) at the moment.

It appears that a reliance on X vmmouse by VMware is causing issues, with respect to mouse/click control, with the Wayland compositor.

Leave a comment:

• Ouroboros
    replied
    Ugh, I was going to go KDE with F22 and try to make it similar to my Windows machine, but I think I'm going to do GNOME + Wayland once F22 is out.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by timex View Post

I tried the workaround, but doesn't work :/ I have the error daemon settings crash, and the error window keeps appearing...
    Strange. It worked on my case. Anyway, look at .local/share/gnome-shell which contains the actual setting. Backup gnome-shell folder somewhere and delete it. Log out and log in again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X