No announcement yet.

RPM Fusion Starts Rolling Out For Fedora 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are f23 repos available too? cause i still get "missing mirrors" error message...

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
      I would argue that use of patented software without an appropriate license from the patent holder is unethical. Like it or not, man should generally follow the law - unless special circumstances occur (such as when what law demands is fundamentally evil).
      1. patents are fundamentally evil
      2. only american men should generally follow american law. in other countries law is different

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        2. only american men should generally follow american law. in other countries law is different
        I have to agree. I mean SW patents are not as evil as let's say pharmaceutical or agricultural ones but they are still bad. And lol at everyone forcing me to follow US "law".

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          If you have ever bought any commercial media player device, you have bought the license to play MP3 with it. I have probably bought a a dozen such devices in the last years (standalone MP3 players, phones, etc.). The same is true for other popular royalty encumbered codecs.
          Why does this matter here? The manufacturer has bought a license to play mp3 only on the specified device.

Originally posted by brent View Post
          If anything, the current royalty-based business model is unethical. I don't think this argument flies here.
          Originally posted by pal666
          Possibly, but I am not sure whether it is a valid exception to use at the receiving end of law. Additionally, not everyone agrees that software patents are wrong. For example, on Groklaw I have once read a very nice guest article from prof. Michael Risch that has a somewhat balanced opinion when it comes to what software patents should be permissible:

So, you can see that I?m in sort of a middle-ground that makes no-one happy. Anti-software patent folks think that I give too much credit to the non-abstract aspects of software. Pro-software patent folks think that I too easily see software as abstract. As we like to say at home when the kids have to compromise: if no one is happy, then I must be doing the right thing.
          Unfortunately it's not true that no software patents are allowed in Europe. At least EPO (European Patent Office) grants many software patents (but one could argue that it misinterprets the law): http://www.epo.org/news-issues/issues/software.html There were some known patent lawsuits in Germany. Even in my country (Poland) a court recently (in last year or so) declared that a software patent (on MPEG-2 or some other codec) is valid.

For most manufacturers software patents are not so much of a problem as for open source (if developers does not want to break it, that is). On the other hand, if one doesn't care about licenses, it is usually not a problem for him to use any patented technology (e.g. RPM Fusion makes this easy).

(please excuse me for my English)

Comment

Working...
          X