Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM Fusion Starts Rolling Out For Fedora 22

Phoronix: RPM Fusion Starts Rolling Out For Fedora 22

For early adopters of Fedora 22 that have been missing out on the packages provided by the third-party RPM Fusion repository, they have started rolling out their support for this next Fedora Linux release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sorry for being blunt,
    but is the stuff for playing mp3 (gstreamer) in the free or non-free repos?
    As an ordinary user of course I can't understand this complex process (on my side and on rpm fusion side of things) for adding codecs.. while I of course understand patent/proprietary issues.
    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      sorry for being blunt,
      As an ordinary user of course I can't understand this complex process (on my side and on rpm fusion side of things) for adding codecs.. while I of course understand patent/proprietary issues.
      Cheers
      GStreamer codecs are in free, nonfree is for proprietary software (i.e. Nvidia driver) or software otherwise under a non-OSI licence.
      The process is relatively complex (actually you just need to enable the repos downloading the RPMs provided on the website) because RPMFusion is an independent project from Fedora, which adheres to a strict patent-free policy.

Comment

Cheers
        Totally off topic but atleast for MP3 playback, I think the last 2 patents expire in September, so this could potentially no longer be an issue for MP3 by Fedora 23. Shame it took so long that many people have long moved on to other encumbered codecs.

Comment

sorry for being blunt,
          Cheers
          Fedora isn't for ordinary users. For such users there is https://kororaproject.org/about

Comment

sorry for being blunt,
            Cheers
            It is just installing a couple of RPM packages but if you find it complex, try http://satya164.github.io/fedy/

Comment

I would argue that use of patented software without an appropriate license from the patent holder is unethical. Like it or not, man should generally follow the law - unless special circumstances occur (such as when what law demands is fundamentally evil). I was unfortunately unable to find any special circumstance that would be firmly applicable here, though I am investigating further.

Ideally we would be able to pay $2 a box and then use any of commonly used A/V decoders on that computer without hassle (until proprietary codecs die out of course). Unfortunately, noone is offering such a licensing program and the Fluendo codecs are much more expensive.

Note: I am an opponent of software patents

Comment

sorry for being blunt,
                Cheers
                Yeah, that's in the free repo, but gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree isn't and you (as an ordinary user) need that. So F22 is still a no-go...

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
                  I would argue that use of patented software without an appropriate license from the patent holder is unethical. Like it or not, man should generally follow the law - unless special circumstances occur (such as when what law demands is fundamentally evil). I was unfortunately unable to find any special circumstance that would be firmly applicable here, though I am investigating further.
                  If you have ever bought any commercial media player device, you have bought the license to play MP3 with it. I have probably bought a a dozen such devices in the last years (standalone MP3 players, phones, etc.). The same is true for other popular royalty encumbered codecs. If anything, the current royalty-based business model is unethical. I don't think this argument flies here.

Comment

A good example of how the royalty system is abused is MPEG-2 licensing. While H.264 licenses are probably quite reasonable (0.24 USD per device), the MPEG-2 license comes at a whopping 2.50 USD per device with additional fees, for example for mediums carrying MPEG-2 content (e.g. DVDs). I don't think at this point anyone can seriously argue the purpose of those royalties still is to amortize the R&D that once went into MPEG-2. Most of the patents part of the MPEG-2 pool have expired by now. MPEG-2 licensing is basically just profiteering and extortion. MPEG-2 is still widely used and in many cases you don't have a choice to use anything else, so you have to pay the overpriced royalty.

See also: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...s-Report-Finds
                    Last edited by brent; 09 May 2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X