Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Alpha 3

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Alpha 3

While not too much for the end-user has changed since Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 2, Canonical has just announced the release of Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Alpha 3. The release announcement for Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 3 can be read on the mailing list and a few added pieces of information on the Ubuntu Testing Wiki...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

#ubuntu+1
    (01:50:45 AM) mamooth: plop
    (01:59:24 AM) jbroome: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/alpha-3/
    (02:04:20 AM) ethan: jbroome: it says daily
    (02:04:30 AM) ethan: but i'll check the other things too
    (02:06:28 AM) ***ethan torrents

(02:08:35 AM) ethan: no seeders on the torrent, blast
    (02:09:09 AM) DanaG: splashy also looked bad when you hit f2, last
    time I tried it.
    (02:09:11 AM) ethan: i'll just get the .iso the regular way i guess
    (02:09:16 AM) DanaG: It got into an odd half-graphical state.
    (02:09:22 AM) DanaG: And flickery, too.
    (02:12:33 AM) ethan: DanaG: that thing jbroome posted is /the/ alpha 3, right?
    (02:12:38 AM) zerwas: Okay, does not sound good.
    (02:12:56 AM) ethan: i suppose you don't bother with fanfare until
    stable releases
    (02:13:36 AM) RAOF: ethana2: It's not alpha 3 until it's got some release notes.
    (02:13:42 AM) ethan: oh.
    (02:13:52 AM) ethan: i'm downloading the .iso--

...and then I come to find that Intel-VT is still turned off in my BIOS on this machine. Ah, well, I have seen Intrepid. I feel better.
    Now I can go to sleep. 'night.

Comment

I've downloaded Kubuntu 8.10 Alpha 3, booted it, and there it was, the "yet to happen" effect Bill Gates talked about: "Wow", "that looks nice!".

I can only hope that with Ubuntu ~9.04, KDE4 will be the new default desktop. Even Mark Shuttleworth uses it

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        I can only hope that with Ubuntu ~9.04, KDE4 will be the new default desktop.
        Nooooooo!
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah that'll be brilliant: "Guys, we're swapping Ubuntu and Kubuntu to make KDE4 default. Ubuntu is now KDE-based, Kubuntu is now Gnome-based. Enjoy the confusion!"

That said I hope this alpha actually boots for me.

Comment

On one hand, I wanna see if xorg-driver-ati fully supports the Radeon Xpress 1100 yet.

On the other hand, I don't want to use up a CD-R on an alpha release.

Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
              On one hand, I wanna see if xorg-driver-ati fully supports the Radeon Xpress 1100 yet.

On the other hand, I don't want to use up a CD-R on an alpha release.

Hmm...
              If you have got a Windows partition, you can use the Fedora LiveUSB-Creator from here to get Ubuntu on an USB device. You can do that with Linux too, but I don't if there are any GUIs for doing that for Ubuntu.

With my X1900, xf86-video-ati works out of the box with both Compiz and KWin4 with great performance, Xv/TexturedVideo works, basic 3D works and I had *no* flickering at all with videos when running Compiz/KWin4, not even in windowed mode! Kubuntu 8.10 Alpha 3 looks mindblowing, Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 3 looks... well, ugly at the moment (but is technically great as good as Kubuntu, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Nooooooo!
                Yeeeesssssssss

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  I can only hope that with Ubuntu ~9.04, KDE4 will be the new default desktop. Even Mark Shuttleworth uses it
                  Why not just use the best KDE distro around then, openSUSE?

Comment

d2kx, show us some screennies coz I don't have any CDs around me

Comment

Working...
                    X