Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSuSE 11.0 Released

Phoronix: OpenSuSE 11.0 Released

Today the OpenSuSE project has announced the release of OpenSuSE 11.0. This new Linux desktop release has a horde of improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From the announcement:
    Note that KDE 3.5 is still available on the openSUSE DVD for KDE users who aren?t quite ready to make the leap to KDE 4.
    Thank god. Looks like I can upgrade without fear. Maybe in 4.5 KDE will be good again.

It would be nice if the toned down the green a bit too. Green trim and stuff is nice but that bright green wallpaper makes me want to scratch chalkboards and punch babies as a pleasant escape.

I don't know anyone tried it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
      From the announcement:

Thank god. Looks like I can upgrade without fear. Maybe in 4.5 KDE will be good again.

It would be nice if the toned down the green a bit too. Green trim and stuff is nice but that bright green wallpaper makes me want to scratch chalkboards and punch babies as a pleasant escape.

I don't know anyone tried it yet?

Been using the goldmaster for about a week now. Best release yet. Green was also voted back in by the users in a previous poll IIRC. I personally love the green theme. In any event it could be worse, it could look like ubuntu's colour scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Green was also voted back in by the users in a previous poll IIRC.
        I always miss the good polls.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        I personally love the green theme. In any event it could be worse, it could look like ubuntu's colour scheme.
        True, Ubuntu's is ugly... too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
          From the announcement:

Well, did you have a look at 4.1? In my humble opinion, it is quite usable already, there are only some apps like konversation or amarok missing. I personally don't like "mixed" environments so I sill use 3.5 for my everyday work too.

But KDE 4.1 itself is, as already mentioned, quite usable. Some polishing needed, though (would be nice if you could change plasma themes via kcontrol or something for example).

Regards
          robo

Comment

Originally posted by robotangel View Post

But KDE 4.1 itself is, as already mentioned, quite usable. Some polishing needed, though (would be nice if you could change plasma themes via kcontrol or something for example).
            I'm using 4.1 from the unstable repos, and I agree that it is quite nice. BTW you can change the plasma theme by right clicking the desktop and choosing a new theme. Dunno how that works from the stable repo but here even ghns downloading of plasma themes works

Comment

Ok, so now I'm curious. What hardware are you using that you don't notice how freak'n slow it is drawing anything to the screen? Seriously, it should not peg my processor to resize a text editor. KDE 3.5.9's Konsole doesn't pig out if I touch the scroll bar, but 4.0.4 definitely does.

No, I haven't tried the more unstable stuff. 4.0.4 was the last I tried. Yes, KDE 4 does look nice, but it comes at the cost of missing features, new features that don't work well, and rendering performance. The the "stable" repositories are updated at least daily. It feels like a construction zone. I'll come back when I don't have to don a hardhat.

I do look forward to that. KDE 4 will be great once it reaches release quality. It just needs more time.

Comment

The hardware that I'm running it on right now is:

Phenom 9850
                Geforce 8800GT
                4 Gig
                ( a couple of these setups)

Athlon 4200+
                Geforce 7200GS
                2 Gig

Athlon 3200+ Socket 754
                Geforce 7600GT AGP
                1.5 Gig

Athlon 1700+
                Geforce 6600GT AGP
                and another with a Geforce 4600
                768 Meg

Comment

I'm trying this distribution as we speak and I'm very surprised. First off, I have never used SuSE/OpenSuSE ever, this is my first time actually trying it, and I'm trying it with KDE 4. I was expecting crashes and just headaches but I've had nothing but success so far. I'm not having any problems with rendering performance or performance in general on the desktop or as a whole heres the specs I'm using:

AMD 64 3700+ (939)
                  GeForce 7900GT
                  2 Gigs of Ram

I installed it using the net install cd (mini) too.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                    I'm trying this distribution as we speak and I'm very surprised. First off, I have never used SuSE/OpenSuSE ever, this is my first time actually trying it, and I'm trying it with KDE 4. I was expecting crashes and just headaches but I've had nothing but success so far. I'm not having any problems with rendering performance or performance in general on the desktop or as a whole heres the specs I'm using:

AMD 64 3700+ (939)
                    GeForce 7900GT
                    2 Gigs of Ram

I installed it using the net install cd (mini) too.
                    Did you add the KDE:KDE4:UNSTABLE repo? If you didn't your using a hybrid KDE 4.0.x/4.1 (they backported many enhancements and fixes)

Comment

Working...
                    X