Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gNewSense 2.0

Phoronix: gNewSense 2.0

Less than a week after the release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "Hardy Heron", the Free Software Foundation has gone ahead and released version 2.0 (named DeltaH) of gNewSense. For those not familiar with gNewSense, this is one of the few distributions certified by the Free Software Foundation as being a truly free Linux distribution. gNewSense 2.0 is essentially Ubuntu 8.04 LTS but with a few modifications to make it more free by removing some binary-only components. New in gNewSense 2.0 is also new artwork, switching the default web browser from Mozilla Firefox to Epiphany, Blag's deblob script in the kernel, and non-free GLX being removed from X.Org/Mesa. Here are a few screenshots from this latest release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just curious, but how is glx non free?

Comment

I am just wondering, what is the difference between gNewSense and GoBuntu?

Wich one was the first? i did'nt find a date for GoBuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
        It is probably referring to the "tag" used by the package management system that labels the nvidia-glx component as non-free under debian based systems. They split-out the files in that system, and the nvidia glx.so XF86/Xorg module component gets placed into it's own package and globbed over into the X11/Mesa section of the package management repositories (or something like that).

Yea and if a single word were added to the newsie, then I wouldn't have to ramble on about the silly things distros do

Comment

what on earth is wrong with these people? "gNewSense" ? Is that really the most inspired name they could come up with?

Hi Mum, want to try "gee New cents"?
          What? "I know you're a nuisance, you don't have to ask me!"

Comment

Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
            My guess is that there's still remnants of SGI-licensed code left over from the XFree86 days.

Comment

Originally posted by an0n1m0us View Post
              Hi Mum, want to try "gee New cents"?
              I think it should sound more like GNU Sense. Not that it makes it that much better but still...

Comment

Working...
              X