Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Released

For those that have been putting off the Hardy Heron upgrade until it was officially released, today Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is now available. The release announcement for Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" can be read on ubuntu-announce and it can be downloaded here...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it was pretty obvious when ubuntu.com started greeting people with error page (server got overloaded and pretty much went down) :] they managed to put it up back pretty quickly, but i wonder what's going to happen next time around, when ubuntu gets even more popular ;-)

Comment

I'm going to wait a bit before downloading the official CD sets and do a repo pull for my bandwidth limited friends...

So far, it's actually decent- if you've got PulseAudio installed on your machine, you'll probably want to "undo" the setup before upgrading and if you're using NVidia on a laptop, you'll need to be prepared for some odd behaviors if you're using a Go series GPU... After a while using the machine, the PowerMiser cycles through speeds accordingly- unfortunately, there's an issue they've known about for a while and have been unable to fix yet, on a slow-down transition, it can cause black flickers. With Compiz turned on it'll be cycling all the time. With it turned off, it'll only usually transition on entry into 3D operations and on exit, which may do the same thing, but since it's not as often it's not noticed. My choice, do without Compiz on the laptop.

Once I squared away the annoying issues with Hardy, it's been nice.
      Last edited by Svartalf; 24 April 2008, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Once I squared away the annoying issues with Hardy, it's been nice.
        Well, I upgraded to Hardy a while ago and the system started to exhibit the by now infamous freeze-behaviour. X locks up completely, mouse still moves but that's it, can't select anything, kbd is completely gone, no CTRL-ALT-BCKSPC or switch to console. The system also cannot be reached by a ping from another box. It seems completely halted except for the mouse cursor which still moves. I did memtest and memory is fine, box is completely stable under Windows XP and was under 7.10. System lockups occur for me mostly when I "type" (mail, open office, even terminal). After a few dozen key presses system locks up. I have to do a hard reboot to get out.
        I have since gone back to 7.10 ... it now exhibits the same problem! And this is a 2.6.22 kernel. I am now back to XP, moved thunderbird back, got OpenOffice. It's a shame. I thought I was free of Windows finally but I can't work like this. Many people seem to have similar problems. I don't have the impression anything is done about it, at least I can't find anything in progress. This is really damaging to Linux on the desktop, lots of new users are trying Ubuntu and find it doesn't work for them.

My machine is an older desktop Athlon 2600+ on Abit nForce2, 1 GB, Ati X800 SE, no wireless, no unusual hardware, using the default graphics driver, not the proprietary fglrx.
        Last edited by tomsen_san; 12 June 2008, 04:54 AM.

Comment

It's not that no one is doing anything, it's that the devs, last time I checked, hadn't been able to reproduce it or otherwise get any information beyond system configurations (and they're all over the place).

The problem affects a lot if people, but it's a small part of the user base...I've never seen it and I've got 8.04 in four machines, including a MacBook Pro (Intel Gen I).

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
            It's not that no one is doing anything, it's that the devs, last time I checked, hadn't been able to reproduce it or otherwise get any information beyond system configurations (and they're all over the place).

The problem affects a lot if people, but it's a small part of the user base...I've never seen it and I've got 8.04 in four machines, including a MacBook Pro (Intel Gen I).
            *sigh* And I thought I had a normal system ... it must be to do with the hardware then. Thanks for clarification.

Comment

How would you use all the packages but upgrade the kernel? What if one wanted to use 2.6.25? I want to use a KDE-based distro with a more recent kernel (at least, 2.6.25). The thing about Ubuntu though, is that they are branching off from Debian. Doesn't that bother anybody?

I also don't like how they use sudo instead of the other method. Are they totally branching away from Debian? It seems like they're venturing further and further away.

One other question for Ubuntu experts: is it better to use Kubuntu or enable KDE in Ubuntu if you want to use the KDE desktop? Are the updates doing anything in that regard (i.e. making it easier to choose one method or the other)? Which repositories are larger, Debian's or Ubuntu's?

Comment

You could use 2.6.26 with ease - when you know how to compile intrepid git kernels - or use precompiled intrepid kernels.

Comment

Working...
                X