X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anda_skoa
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    I wonder Trinity ever completed the port to Qt4...
    I don't think they ever attempted one.

Back in the day they created some kind of wrapper API that supposedly would be implementable on top of Qt3 and Qt4 and the Qt4 backend didn't work that well.
    My guess would be that the wrapper was too close to Qt3's paradigms or behaviors to make Qt4 backend viable in the first place.

Not that it matters nowadays, they would need to do a port to Qt5 by now.

Cheers,
    _

Leave a comment:

• IM back!
    replied
    why is kde3/qt3 UI more responsive on the same hardware than even a modern lxqt install?

Leave a comment:

• schmalzler
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Long live Amarok 1.4 & Konqueror
    Long live ncmpcpp & ranger!

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by kudlaty View Post
    Exactly. Using LXQt + KDE applications seems like a much better solution if you don't like Plasma, the code is maintained and the footprint is reasonably small.
    People try to support KDE3 not because plasma is "bloated", but because of KDE3 with the apps as a whole. IMHO I agree: The old apps were better designed and had more functionality (both official apps and unofficial ones). I mess them a lot - just not enough to make trinity as my main DE.

Plasma/Plasma2 looks really good and has good cross platform support, but I just don't like the apps that come with it. KDE had a much larger community back in the day, it lost a lot of good stuff with breaking backwards compatibility and taking such a long time to release new versions. Hopefully plasma2 and perhaps wayland support will draw some of the old crowd back.

PS: LXQt looks nice too. I tested Razor-qt for a few days. It worked really well I was impressed by it, but still has the same issue with KDE4 apps (now KDE5 apps). Long live Amarok 1.4 & Konqueror

Leave a comment:

• mcirsta
    replied
    1993 called

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I'm hoping for a Motif version. Happy new year 1993 everyone!
    1993 called and said it wants it desktop back )

I do agree that everyone is free to do whatever he/she wants with their spare time but this really seems a waste of it.

Leave a comment:

• arzeth
    replied
    Am I the only one who was shocked by seeing a setup wizard (moreover, it is a setup for? for? Chrome!) in Linux that looks like it is from Windows?

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    I wonder Trinity ever completed the port to Qt4...

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I'm hoping for a Motif version. Happy new year 1993 everyone!

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    I don't care about Trinity, so I won't use it. You may have some valid points there, but keep in mind that RHEL 5, which also has Qt 3 and KDE 3, will still be supported until 2020, so security patches aren't really an issue, they can just use Red Hat's sources.
    Yeah, I feel much the same... except with respect to KDE 4+, I have no use for that.

Also I don't feel that QT3 has such a large attach surface relative to other libraries that are more specific to networked IO. Like, openssl or bash or ftp etc... Although there are some things like that in QT3.

Leave a comment:

• MoonMoon
    replied
    Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    The problem with trinity is not the old code base, but that they have to support the whole kde3 +qt3 stack, which does not get any updates from upstream as it's dead, and trinity is basically a one-man-project. Even with 10 developers who really know very well what they are doing this would be too much. So use trinity if you want and have fun with all the known but unpatched and undiscovered vulnerabilities...
    I don't care about Trinity, so I won't use it. You may have some valid points there, but keep in mind that RHEL 5, which also has Qt 3 and KDE 3, will still be supported until 2020, so security patches aren't really an issue, they can just use Red Hat's sources.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X