Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian-Based Distribution Updated With KDE 3.5 Forked Desktop

Phoronix: Debian-Based Distribution Updated With KDE 3.5 Forked Desktop

The team behind Q4OS has released a new version of their Linux distribution based on Debian 8.0 "Jessie" and powered by the Trinity Desktop, a fork of KDE 3.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE2

I heard their next version will be based on a KDE 2 fork

Comment

Originally posted by lethal View Post
      I heard their next version will be based on a KDE 2 fork
      So what? They are just using the options open source software give to you for their advantage. I don't see anything wrong with that. If they would want to work on a fork of KDE 2 so be it, why shouldn't they? Because it is not new and shiny?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
        So what? They are just using the options open source software give to you for their advantage. I don't see anything wrong with that. If they would want to work on a fork of KDE 2 so be it, why shouldn't they? Because it is not new and shiny?
        The problem with trinity is not the old code base, but that they have to support the whole kde3 +qt3 stack, which does not get any updates from upstream as it's dead, and trinity is basically a one-man-project. Even with 10 developers who really know very well what they are doing this would be too much. So use trinity if you want and have fun with all the known but unpatched and undiscovered vulnerabilities...

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
          Even with 10 developers who really know very well what they are doing this would be too much. So use trinity if you want and have fun with all the known but unpatched and undiscovered vulnerabilities...
          Exactly. Using LXQt + KDE applications seems like a much better solution if you don't like Plasma, the code is maintained and the footprint is reasonably small.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
            The problem with trinity is not the old code base, but that they have to support the whole kde3 +qt3 stack, which does not get any updates from upstream as it's dead, and trinity is basically a one-man-project. Even with 10 developers who really know very well what they are doing this would be too much. So use trinity if you want and have fun with all the known but unpatched and undiscovered vulnerabilities...
            I don't care about Trinity, so I won't use it. You may have some valid points there, but keep in mind that RHEL 5, which also has Qt 3 and KDE 3, will still be supported until 2020, so security patches aren't really an issue, they can just use Red Hat's sources.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
              I don't care about Trinity, so I won't use it. You may have some valid points there, but keep in mind that RHEL 5, which also has Qt 3 and KDE 3, will still be supported until 2020, so security patches aren't really an issue, they can just use Red Hat's sources.
              Yeah, I feel much the same... except with respect to KDE 4+, I have no use for that.

Also I don't feel that QT3 has such a large attach surface relative to other libraries that are more specific to networked IO. Like, openssl or bash or ftp etc... Although there are some things like that in QT3.

Comment

I'm hoping for a Motif version. Happy new year 1993 everyone!

Comment

I wonder Trinity ever completed the port to Qt4...

Comment

Am I the only one who was shocked by seeing a setup wizard (moreover, it is a setup for? for? Chrome!) in Linux that looks like it is from Windows?

Comment

Working...
                    X