Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS & Libdvdcss Should Soon Be In Debian

Phoronix: ZFS & Libdvdcss Should Soon Be In Debian

For Debian GNU/Linux users wishing to have ZFS file-system support and libdvdcss (for DVD playback) without having to use third-party package archives, that should soon be a reality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonder if this will change the situation at all for Fedora, or at least RPMFusion
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

DVD will be gone soon.

How often do you see computers with DVD reader these days? I think blu-ray discs won't be popular as we use cloud to stream media to your devices(phones, tablets, smart TV). Wifi is more important for people now. I think I will ditch comcast and change to T-mobile if their unlimited 4G speed is acceptable in my area.

Comment

dvdcss?

Who watches SD content nowadays? From a DVD drive?

Comment

if he knows that there is no problem and it will soon be integrated. Why then asking for legal advise if he knows the answers to that questions before he/they got the advise?

I dont get that is there a troll on top of the debian project?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            if he knows that there is no problem and it will soon be integrated. Why then asking for legal advise if he knows the answers to that questions before he/they got the advise?

I dont get that is there a troll on top of the debian project?
            Because its a legal-grey due to the DMCA and patents and the likes. When things are in a grey area the usual route is to play it safe and not even get into it (in this case: not package it).
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              From a DVD drive?
              My parents told me about those once.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Because its a legal-grey due to the DMCA and patents and the likes. When things are in a grey area the usual route is to play it safe and not even get into it (in this case: not package it).
                again for what does he then talk to that layers if he wants to package it anyway. if he wants to take that risk do it, its legal or not you cant do it more illigal or something.

I could phrase it different I would liked when he would have said I look into it and TRY to make it happen. If he cant desite by himself if the chances that a jury sees that grey area as white or black then he should get that help and desite after it. If he dont cares about the risk just go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  If he cant desite by himself if the chances that a jury sees that grey area as white or black then he should get that help and desite after it.
                  Have you even read that article? That is exactly what he did, that is why he said that they now received the legal advice from the SFLC and that they gave the advice that it is OK to incororate those packages.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    dvdcss?

Who watches SD content nowadays? From a DVD drive?
                    Uh... everyone. Who has petabyes of drive space at home to house all their HD content? I suppose you could compress it to death... then you'd have HD that rivals 480p in quality.

Also, ripping HD content from Blu-ray is still problematic.

Who watches TV or movies on a screen larger than a tablet? Yes, I'm poking at your age now. Just because you find it comfortable to have huge TV and movie rips for large screen viewing at incredible HD resolutions doesn't mean that today's teen, who doesn't know what a big screen is.... will do the same. And my guess is that today's teen doesn't mind lower resolution data coming to their phone vs. forcing some hideous transcoding on some backend end server. Why not deliver something more reasonably targeted to the end device? Smaller, less bandwidth, etc.. often much more important than super-ultra-mega-crunchy HD. The latter may not make much sense at all.

What is old is new again. Low def FTW!

Not saying that your love of "new" and "bigger" isn't ok... just saying it's not the only way to view things.

Comment

Working...
                    X