Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elementary OS 0.3 "Freya" Now Available

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Elementary OS 0.3 "Freya" Now Available

    Phoronix: Elementary OS 0.3 "Freya" Now Available

    Version 0.3 of Elementary OS, which is codenamed Freya, is now available after being under development for more than one year...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...S-0.3-Released

  • #2
    Pantheon is the default desktop environment originally created for the elementary OS distribution. It is written from scratch using Vala and the GTK3 toolkit. With regards to usability and appearance, the desktop has some similarities with GNOME Shell and Mac OS X.
    Status bar in top is outdated and useless, just like in Gnome[1-2-3].

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by edmon View Post
      Status bar in top is outdated and useless, just like in Gnome[1-2-3].
      Which bar is that?

      Comment


      • #4
        Please package the Pantheon desktop environment in the Debian repository.

        Comment


        • #5
          Pantheon for Debian

          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Please package the Pantheon desktop environment in the Debian repository.
          There are people already working on it: https://plus.google.com/+Shnatsel/posts/iv2oZh7h9ZJ

          Comment


          • #6
            If you're going to download and install it, don't forget to pay. We wouldn't want the developers to feel like you're stealing from them and otherwise cheating the system.

            Comment


            • #7
              That's a solid release but I still prefer Gnome 3.16. Althought eOS team puts more attention to the visual design I think Gnome applications look better plus eOS file manager breadcrumbs were superior in Luna. I don't like how they put regular icons on the headerbars instead of buttons with symbolic icons like Gnome. I wish someone would come up with a desktop environment that would combine the best features of various DE's:

              - wingpanel look + slingshot
              - cinnamon panel customizability
              - gnome extension management (perhaps updated with Chrome support...)
              - cinnamon (muffin) ability to snap application to desktop quarters
              - pantheon responsiveness and resource usage
              - gnome activities overview and workspaces management
              - gnome applications
              - deepin system settings

              I wonder if Valve will ever come up with something of their own besides the Big Picture for the SteamOS.
              Last edited by killyou; 11 April 2015, 08:06 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Pantheon for gnome shell

                Originally posted by killyou View Post
                That's a solid release but I still prefer Gnome 3.16. Althought eOS team puts more attention to the visual design I think Gnome applications look better plus eOS file manager breadcrumbs were superior in Luna. I don't like how they put regular icons on the headerbars instead of buttons with symbolic icons like Gnome. I wish someone would come up with a desktop environment that would combine the best features of various DE's:

                - wingpanel look + slingshot
                ...
                I use the following extensions under Gnome Shell to give it a pantheon-ish style:

                slingshot
                simple dock
                topicons

                Comment


                • #9
                  Something I found real funny about eOS. In one bug where they discuss changing the file manager, someone posted a mockup for how it should look like.

                  So far so good. But said mockup is a screenshot from OS X, not some artist's conception. Hah.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Something I found real funny about eOS. In one bug where they discuss changing the file manager, someone posted a mockup for how it should look like.

                    So far so good. But said mockup is a screenshot from OS X, not some artist's conception. Hah.
                    I think GNOME, no matter how hard it wants to, can't go with obviously copying OS X, but at least its minor forks freely can.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X