Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 22 Beta To Be Delayed By One Week

Phoronix: Fedora 22 Beta To Be Delayed By One Week

While Fedora developers did a good job getting out the Fedora 22 Alpha on time, the beta release of Fedora 22 will come at least one week late...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whew -- that's a relief! For a month there I thought I'd fallen down the rabbit hole or into some alternate universe or something. But F22's delayed and all's again well with the world!

(Satisfied Fedora user since Core 1)

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
      Whew -- that's a relief! For a month there I thought I'd fallen down the rabbit hole or into some alternate universe or something. But F22's delayed and all's again well with the world!
      My sentiment exactly!

(happy fedora user since f18)

Comment

Beta RC1 is available.

I think I tried Fedora a while back (maybe 18 or 19) but it was a very short venture. Got tired of Ubuntu as of lately (would probably be on Vivid currently but UEFI installs has been broken for 2+ months now), and openSUSE's Tumbleweed was (and still is currently for me) a bit flaky at the time, so I figured I'd give Fedora a spin.

Best decision ever It just works, and actually stays relatively up-to-date with the default repos (I also like that wine-staging is in default repos). My only minor gripe with it is that up-to-date mpv doesn't seem to really be offered in repos (no mpv in official repos, and RPM Fusion carries a pretty outdated version), but there's some project on SourceForge providing updated mpv RPMs, so I guess that works out. Kind of wish RPM Fusion would get on-board with supporting F22, but I guess it can't be helped. Fedora LXDE spin also acted a bit strangely if I recall right, but normal Fedora works fine (I think it was involving FTP file transfers with FileZilla; queue would just stop strangely).

Kind of want to be using GNOME 3.16 though. My little testing with F22 Alpa was great, but neither RPM Fusion (which I only use for mpv, but I apparently need the repo for HandBrake to grab dependencies from) nor that one HandBrake repo worked. I can probably live without mpv (would probably just need to convert my videos to something Totem can handle natively), but HandBrake is kind of nice to have around. The maintainer says his repo should work with F22, so I'm not sure what's up (if I recall right, yum or something errors while trying to add the repo, and states it couldn't find some "dummy" thing).

Comment

One correction - I specifically wrote "due to one unresolved blocker bug" not "bugs" in the announcement ;-). Prior the Go/No-Go meeting, we had release candidate available, that means no unresolved blockers but there were a few proposed. And unfortunately one bug was discovered in the very last minute, it appeared on the list during the meeting and Cloud WG guys considered this one as a real blocking issue for Beta. So we were really, really close to Beta.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Beta RC1 is available.

I think I tried Fedora a while back (maybe 18 or 19) but it was a very short venture. Got tired of Ubuntu as of lately (would probably be on Vivid currently but UEFI installs has been broken for 2+ months now), and openSUSE's Tumbleweed was (and still is currently for me) a bit flaky at the time, so I figured I'd give Fedora a spin.
            Thanks Espionage. Don't know what issues you had with Ubuntu UEFI. I installed 14.04 on my UEFI laptop just two days ago and apart from a minor glitch involving leaving both itself and Fedora unbootable, Trusty installed Just Fine. But after timing out over Ubuntu's reformatting and relabeling of the swap partition CentOS was still happy, and running its dracut on the Ubuntu and Fedora kernels produced minimal initramfs's that allowed those to boot okay as well, after which their dracut/mkinitramfs tools could produce complete initramfs's that included their respective /lib/modules/<kernel version device tree>. And the new encrypted swap partition was a thoughtful touch, though it would have been nicer had Ubuntu's installer informed me that was what it was up to.

Oblivious enough Don't know what your issues were. <shrug>

Comment

[Edit]. To be fair, I don't know the boot problem Fedora had was Ubuntu-specific, or result of just having inserted a new disk partition for Ubuntu's root fs. Which was done from Fedora's gparted. It didn't result in the /dev assignments being changed for the other partitions, and all these distros' /etc/fstabs locate them by uuid anyway. Didn't seem to affect CentOS, so who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
                Thanks Espionage. Don't know what issues you had with Ubuntu UEFI. I installed 14.04 on my UEFI laptop just two days ago and apart from a minor glitch involving leaving both itself and Fedora unbootable, Trusty installed Just Fine. But after timing out over Ubuntu's reformatting and relabeling of the swap partition CentOS was still happy, and running its dracut on the Ubuntu and Fedora kernels produced minimal initramfs's that allowed those to boot okay as well, after which their dracut/mkinitramfs tools could produce complete initramfs's that included their respective /lib/modules/<kernel version device tree>. And the new encrypted swap partition was a thoughtful touch, though it would have been nicer had Ubuntu's installer informed me that was what it was up to.

Oblivious enough Don't know what your issues were. <shrug>
                The problem is with Vivid development build specifically. Trusty and Utopic are fine.

Comment

Working...
                X