Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    I fail to see what is "some magic" about;

Seems like pretty straight-forward instructions.
    - import new key,
    - update yum itself,
    - clean all the crap that might be lurking,
    - do the update.
    Well, technically you're first supposed to update yum, then kernel, then selinux-policy-targeted, then boot to new kernel and finish the update. Or you can just use fedup. Selinux-policy-targeted is important because otherwise your disk is likely incorrectly labeled after upgrade and you need full relabel which is slow

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      That info is outdated. Unfortunately Phoronix doesn't let me edit the title under the username.
      I'm sure Michael would help you get it changed if you ask him

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        I'm sure Michael would help you get it changed if you ask him

I have sent in a request long back that wasn't responded to. I have mailed him again now.

Comment

I'm with droidhacker on this one. The whole point and purpose of creating DNF instead of just using zypper is that DNF wouldn't break peoples scripts and workflow, because it would be renamed to yum and have the same command interface when finished. Doing this is completely contradictory to those goals and quite stupid honestly. They should stick to the original plan, unless the developer wants to tell us this was actually a NIH project all along, in which case Fedora should have just transitioned over to zypper.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            I'm with droidhacker on this one. The whole point and purpose of creating DNF instead of just using zypper is that DNF wouldn't break peoples scripts and workflow, because it would be renamed to yum and have the same command interface when finished. Doing this is completely contradictory to those goals and quite stupid honestly. They should stick to the original plan, unless the developer wants to tell us this was actually a NIH project all along, in which case Fedora should have just transitioned over to zypper.

Moving to zypper would throw all backwards compatibility out the window. At least with dnf they can maintain some level of BC.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Except that backwards compatibility goes out the door, if "yum" is just going to be a script saying it's deprecated and to use DNF instead. Which means that they should have just saved themselves the effort and gone with zypper since they're forcing everyone to go back over their tooling anyway.

Either :
              A). DNF is a drop-in replacement for yum, and really yum-ng, and so it should have the name and command interface of yum and they shouldn't be playing around with these kinds of scripts period.
              or
              B). DNF is not a drop-in replacement and as a result they should have just used zypper instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                You new to Phoronix, Espionage, or just don't check regularly? I ask because Michael is pretty on-top of DNF news so it'd take a lot to not know it existed
                That was a poor choice of words

I did hear of DNF before, but I never really looked into it or knew what it did specifically (I wasn't really a Fedora user until recently).

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Except that backwards compatibility goes out the door, if "yum" is just going to be a script saying it's deprecated and to use DNF instead.
                  That is not what the script does. It has a message in front saying yum is deprecated but it also automatically redirects to dnf. So it works more like an alias. This maintains backward compatibility for the most part (dnf and yum have *mostly* similar options but it is not 100%) while allowing a transition period. This is pretty similar to how service command in Fedora redirects to systemctl automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    I fail to see what is "some magic" about;

Seems like pretty straight-forward instructions.
                    - import new key,
                    - update yum itself,
                    - clean all the crap that might be lurking,
                    - do the update.
                    I've promised to myself not to answer to this tread anymore but i just can't keep it.
                    Did you ever tried that routine?
                    Last edited by edmon; 08 April 2015, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                      That is not what the script does. It has a message in front saying yum is deprecated but it also automatically redirects to dnf. So it works more like an alias. This maintains backward compatibility for the most part (dnf and yum have *mostly* similar options but it is not 100%) while allowing a transition period. This is pretty similar to how service command in Fedora redirects to systemctl automatically.
                      Except that yum's features are a superset of dnf's features so not everything can be redirected. Eg yum's transactional shell is a highly powerful feature through which you could basically do anything else that's missing in dnf if it was implemented. I mean, fine, it's manual repair but it allows people to carve you a manual transaction that will fix your system in a support channel

Comment

Working...
                      X