Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 22 Alpha Now Available For AArch64 & PowerPC64

Phoronix: Fedora 22 Alpha Now Available For AArch64 & PowerPC64

The alpha release of Fedora 22 was released a few weeks ago for the primary CPU architectures while finally coming out today is the F22 Alpha for 64-bit ARM and PowerPC architectures...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just curious, what is the deal with fedora and Update&Restart? i noticed that if i go with suggestions trough Software, every time OS Updates is shown only option is Update&Restart. even in case when only some obscure libraries are being updated and those would never require restart

is that a feature in progress or should one file a bug? and if it is a bug, where to report it? Fedora or Gnome Software?

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      just curious, what is the deal with fedora and Update&Restart? i noticed that if i go with suggestions trough Software, every time OS Updates is shown only option is Update&Restart. even in case when only some obscure libraries are being updated and those would never require restart

is that a feature in progress or should one file a bug? and if it is a bug, where to report it? Fedora or Gnome Software?
      I'd expect Red Hat BZ, Fedora section, some Gnome component. Bugs can be moved to different components as necessary

Comment

It's not a bug. It's a safety measure. See Features/OfflineSystemUpdates for the rationale. There's nothing wrong with installing updates using yum/dnf and determining the best time for a reboot yourself though.

Comment

Its not tracked as a bug, but as a feature, we know that, but I dont care, I hate it and it makes no sense. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ceage View Post
            It's not a bug. It's a safety measure. See Features/OfflineSystemUpdates for the rationale. There's nothing wrong with installing updates using yum/dnf and determining the best time for a reboot yourself though.
            i never even used Gnome Software to update, first thing i did was disable its notifications for my self. as installer... fabulous, as updater... nah

well, i never used it until friend of mine asked me about this (his words "worse than windows") and it is kind of annoying to explain new user who won't use CLI. how do you even explain "nothing worth mentioning happened, please restart", especially when you consider that fedora has much more frequent updates than some LTS distro like CentOS

i really wouldn't call this feature. more like major pain in the ass. previously, fedora only prompted to restart when it was necessary

Comment

i never even used Gnome Software to update, first thing i did was disable its notifications for my self. as installer... fabulous, as updater... nah

well, i never used it until friend of mine asked me about this (his words "worse than windows") and it is kind of annoying to explain new user who won't use CLI. how do you even explain "nothing worth mentioning happened, please restart", especially when you consider that fedora has much more frequent updates than some LTS distro like CentOS

i really wouldn't call this feature. more like major pain in the ass. previously, fedora only prompted to restart when it was necessary
              But what is the better solution? If you are a somewhat experienced user you is able to restart the affected processes manually. As a newbie it is easier to reboot. Sadly the package paradigm we have today lack ability to have a reliable restart of affected processes. It is easy to list the processes but harder to do the restart automatically in a reliable way.
              Last edited by Akka; 31 March 2015, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                But what is the better solution? If you are a somewhat experienced user you is able to restart the affected processes manually. As a newbie it is easier to reboot. Sadly the package paradigm we have today lack ability to have a reliable restart of affected processes. It is easy to list the processes but harder to do the restart automatically in a reliable way.
                as one who did mistakes like rpm -e kernel in my life (and successfully solved the problem before it shown up), i fail to see the need to restart process when updated. process will run normally until terminated.

also, i think i am correct when i assume that previously fedora handled this by simply having list of rpms that require reboot, which actually consists from small amount of packages. aka. list of core packages

next thing,... let's be honest. Gnome Software is actually brilliant in that aspect, user knows exactly which software is being updated and if he uses it. one would need to start calling names if this was the question.

and when we come to services (where i don't even see the reason on workstation). fedora is using systemd which already provides whole execution tree. it would be just a matter to parse that and get package names with yum/dnf in order to see if anything collides with anything being updated and restart that unit (although this would be overkill if separated like in next paragraph)

but, the gist of what i'm saying is that sticking everything else but appinfo.xml providing packages into OS Updates and require restart on each and every one... is just wrong in so many ways. i know that if it was up to me, i'd prefer Core OS Updates (which now that fedora actually has one makes sense and reboot would make sense too) and OS Updates (which don't trigger need for restart)
                Last edited by justmy2cents; 31 March 2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X