Ubuntu 10.04 Is Reaching End-of-Life Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiputnik View Post
    You do realize that you can just launch a live CD on your machine, rm -rf everything that isn't /home and then reinstall the system without losing any data just as if your /home would be on a separate partition, right?

I did this once or twice myself; it literally takes a few minutes and you don't have to deal with the inconvenience of having separate partitions.

And before you say that having /home on a separate partition has other uses - even if you want to use the same /home from multiple distros you still don't need a separate /home partition. (See man mount, specifically --bind; again, this also takes a minute or two and basically boils down to creating one directory and adding a single line to your /etc/fstab to set up.)
    What exactly is inconvenient about using a separate partition compared to having to futz about with what are effectively hacks (rm -rf... seriously now?) to work around not having separate partitions. I can easily kill the system partition hundreds of times over without fear of losing my data, and move between versions without having to pull out a live cd to manually prepare the system before upgrading to a new version, or even a completely different distro. I do this with every OS I install because there's very significant benefits to being able to reinstall the OS if needed without touching the data or doing excessive futzing about with livecds.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Great reasons to move to Arch or Tumbleweed - never having to deal with upgrade hell again.
      Indeed. The Hardy -> Lucid inline upgrade is what made me uninstall Ubuntu on my home server and move to Arch.

The upgrade worked, but a few little niggles crept in. For example, whenever I opened the torrent client after the upgrade it would display an error message which I'd have to kill. This wasn't good on a machine that I wanted to leave on 24/7, every time something happened which required a reboot, I had to hook up a display and go in to sort this type of thing out.

In the end I'm glad for it. When I initially set it up I wasn't confident enough to have a headless server, now I wouldn't be without it. Any maintenance I have to do is done via SSH which mainly consist of the occasional yaourt -Syua, it's a brilliant Samba fileserver and great for torrenting (rtorrent + screen + cron > vuze).

Comment

Working...
      X