Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@plantroon
    Code:
    find ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32 \( -name libstdc++.so.6 -o -name libgcc_s.so.1 \) -exec rm -vf {} \;
    Sometimes the dir changes, but basically the command can be adopted to any Steam install. Thats needed for all OSS drivers which use LLVM, Intel does not require that hack.

@grndzro

Do you really think that somebody "steals" a patch? You often find different patches and you have to pick the best in case you can't figure it out yourself. It is every time annoying as maintainer that you have to search/test that yourself first because AMD or Nvidia do not seem to like to try latest kernels.

In the Xserver case AMD is often a few month later than Nvidia. Several years ago I added a binary (much more tricky than fixing the kernel module) hack to disable a version check as it only got renamed from 7.x to 1.x but usualy this wont work now anymore. You can only wait till you get official support, and AMD only does something when Ubuntu calls em, that really sucks! And even if they have got a drivers, why is AMD too stupid to write a changelog and put a direct download link on their website, must be too hard... That AMD thinks they need to rename the package every 1-2 releases is very annoying as well if you want to create "correct" packages that download/watch the orig files with the debian/rules, Ubuntu uses the cheap way and does not provide any dl link.

Comment

Is any simply way to install this on Ubuntu 14.10 or any other distro?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Typically I'd just add the PPA of the newest release. So I'd go into my /etc/apt/sources.list and manually add it, so say I'm running trusty and the package I want is in vivid.
        Open up gedit or geany (I like geany because it remembers my tabs)
        Code:
        sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
        Look at https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa to find the ppa and signing key.
        Add this to the bottom:
        Code:
        deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu vivid main
        (Signing key:1024R/8844C542 is what it has on the site, use the part after the /)
        Run
        Code:
        sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8844C542
        Hit enter, then
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Install the package you want (in your case, fglrx) or if you're going to upgrade everything
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
        So that's my method of doing it. Let me know if someone has a better method. Otherwise, if you do the
        Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
        Hit Enter.
        You'll end up getting (again, assuming you're on trusty)
        Code:
        deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
        a little sources.list file somewhere in another folder in /etc/apt/ that you can just change the trusty to vivid with gedit or whatever, although I don't think you need root privileges for the little file. Then just run apt-get update or whatever and then install it.
        Last edited by profoundWHALE; 12 March 2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

You can never write inside /etc with user permission, if you can do, then your system has messed up linux permissions. A user can write to it's $HOME, /tmp (gets deleted on reboot usually), /var/tmp (permanent).

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            You can never write inside /etc with user permission, if you can do, then your system has messed up linux permissions. A user can write to it's $HOME, /tmp (gets deleted on reboot usually), /var/tmp (permanent).
            Thanks, I tend to run sudo so much that I forget when it's not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
              The installer for Catalyst automatically detects what version of Ubuntu that you are using and makes a deb package for you. It's certainly a lot easier to install Catalyst on Linux than it is NVIDIA. That said, you're more than likely better off with the free and open source drivers from Oibaf's PPA.

Comment

Working...
              X