• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rakl?dder View Post
    Today is a good day!
    I didn't even have to use my A.K...

Comment

So... Has anyone tried the new drivers? Any changes apart from the version number and xorg support?

Comment

Do they actually work or are they shock full of bugs and memory leaks as usual?

Comment

Originally posted by plantroon View Post
          HD 3650 and HD4850 have a really different architecture. 2 completely different cards even in performance. HD 3650 has performance very close (a bit better maybe) to Intel HD 4000. Even on Windows, HD 3650 has bugs in "newer" games like Battlefield 3 where you can't see the HUD. No such thing happened with 4850. I have a dead 4870 at home and I believe it's similar to 4850. On Linux, 4xxx series has better opensource support and 3xxx series was known to suffer from lockups on opensource drivers.
          Ok then. 4850 was great value for the money years ago, even more so because it is almost perfectly usable card even this day. No matter, have to appreciate it is not /dev/null hardware, thanks to the people who have coded the free driver for it!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            It pisses me off that AMD is always late with the new drivers to support the latest kernel and X.Org Server, which is holding back Linux, desktop and X innovation for everyone.
            That's a bit over-dramatic. You make it sound like Linus and Keith Packard are holding up kernel/X releases waiting for Catalyst to catch up...

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
              Do they actually work or are they shock full of bugs and memory leaks as usual?
              Be patient Ubuntu is getting absolutely slammed. getting 50kbps DLing Ubuntu Gnome 15.04.

Comment

Is it transitional Catalyst? It seems to be

I was to think that AMD is to release tranbsitional Catalyst taht works using both fglrx and AMDGPU kernel driver since there were named Catalyst Omega 14.12 driver. It is because Omega is latest member in Greek alphabet. To neme something Omega means that is latest member of any list e.g. list of type of software and next will be revolutiobnary change.

Previous information that AMD is to release new Calayst before sending AMDGPU patch (that generally means no AMDGPU since 4.1 kernel) was ana pro agument of my idea.

and in this article is another one pro arument:
                "This driver is significantly larger than Catalyst 14.12, the current stable release,"

And revolution became

"next Catalyst Linux driver release. This driver is needed to support the latest Linux kernel and X.Org Server of Ubuntu 15.04"

as of only 9 days after Ubuntu got 3.19 kenrel officialy we have AMD driver taht was and is yet to be extremnely uncommonm

Linux 3.19 Officially Lands For Ubuntu 15.04

Published on 03 March 2015
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and it is just oabou one month since 3.19 becaome released
                Linux 3.19 Kernel Released

Published on 08 February 2015
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                  Be patient Ubuntu is getting absolutely slammed. getting 50kbps DLing Ubuntu Gnome 15.04.
                  Isn't that why distros prefer people download via torrents? Unless you're downloading via a torrent in which case... what??

Comment

Is it transitional Catalyst? It seems to be

I was to think that AMD is to release tranbsitional Catalyst taht works using both fglrx and AMDGPU kernel driver since there were named Catalyst Omega 14.12 driver. It is because Omega is latest member in Greek alphabet. To neme something Omega means that is latest member of any list e.g. list of type of software and next will be revolutiobnary change.

Previous information that AMD is to release new Calayst before sending AMDGPU patch (that generally means no AMDGPU since 4.1 kernel) was ana pro agument of my idea.

and in this article is another one pro arument:
                    "This driver is significantly larger than Catalyst 14.12, the current stable release,"

And revolution became

"next Catalyst Linux driver release. This driver is needed to support the latest Linux kernel and X.Org Server of Ubuntu 15.04"

as of only 9 days after Ubuntu got 3.19 kenrel officialy we have AMD driver taht was and is yet to be extremnely uncommonm

Linux 3.19 Officially Lands For Ubuntu 15.04

Published on 03 March 2015

and it is just oabou one month since 3.19 becaome released
                    Linux 3.19 Kernel Released

Published on 08 February 2015

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                      So... Has anyone tried the new drivers? Any changes apart from the version number and xorg support?
                      Answering my own question after running some quick tests.

- General performance is the same as always, they don't even bother anymore
                      - Wine "support" seems to be fixed
                      - The video acceleration support introduced in 14.12 is gone/broken
                      - Still nowhere near windows performance, still nowhere near Radeon performance

Comment

Working...
                      X