Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tremendous Features Of Fedora 22

Phoronix: The Tremendous Features Of Fedora 22

With Fedora 22 having entered its alpha freeze this week along with the software string freeze and change checkpoint deadline, here's a recap of some of the towering features of this six-month update to Fedora 21 and the second release under the Fedora.Next strategy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Python3 didn't make it

IIRC: I think it was announced that Python3 will not be the default due to some problem. They'll keep most of the work for Fedora 22, but default won't change. This was discussed on the fedora devel list.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
      IIRC: I think it was announced that Python3 will not be the default due to some problem.
      They're concerned about DNF and Anaconda.

Comment

Most of people using Fedora are Red Hat employee. The images on the post of gnome 3.16 says "Red Hat Public Network" or something. Nothing againt dogfodding but don't use me for testing your crap.

I would'nt update my distro (Ubuntu 14.04) Until someone fix the Bluez5, pulseaudio5/6 and systemd trainweck.The progress right now on Linux distros Is like a travel to the past where the only supported hardware is the most basic kind.

Comment

Btw. I updated wiki page with ChangeSet based on the recent status check and yesterday's FESCo meeting.

Comment

new notifications... couldn't be happier as notifications were more or less one of last sad points in gnome. i can only wish that something like https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/ would also be included by default in F22.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              new notifications... couldn't be happier as notifications were more or less one of last sad points in gnome. i can only wish that something like https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/ would also be included by default in F22.
              It appears the notification area is still being worked on for by some of Red Hat developers for GNOME 3.16/Fedora 22 upstream.

"The main thing that has still to land for 3.16 is status icon support. We?re still finalising our plans for this, but it will definitely happen, and I?m sure that it will be better than what was in 3.14."

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                They're concerned about DNF and Anaconda.
                https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...ry/207391.html
                Dnf and Anaconda is more or less ready. One key piece is Python bindings for the SELinux library

So most of the core work will be done but the default switch itself will have to wait till Fedora 23

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  It appears the notification area is still being worked on for by some of Red Hat developers for GNOME 3.16/Fedora 22 upstream.

"The main thing that has still to land for 3.16 is status icon support. We?re still finalising our plans for this, but it will definitely happen, and I?m sure that it will be better than what was in 3.14."
                  thanks. that was a great read. it looks even better than it seemed

i'm just confused about one thing. what does it stand for with "status icons"? does this mean handling of steam or skype like tray icons where you can also get application personalized menu? that was why i used topicons for

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    thanks. that was a great read. it looks even better than it seemed

i'm just confused about one thing. what does it stand for with "status icons"? does this mean handling of steam or skype like tray icons where you can also get application personalized menu? that was why i used topicons for
                    I would presume the former. The menus are called app menus in GNOME

Comment

Working...
                    X