Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F22 Switch From Evdev & Synaptics To Libinput

Phoronix: F22 Switch From Evdev & Synaptics To Libinput

Those installing the latest development snapshot of Fedora 22 will now experience a difference in the default X.Org input driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: F22 Switch From Evdev & Synaptics To Libinput

Those installing the latest development snapshot of Fedora 22 will now experience a difference in the default X.Org input driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ibinput-Switch
    I tried xf86-input-libinput on my synaptics trackpad laptop. My main complaints are that two-finger scrolling is a bit oversensitive and there is no easy way to enable tap-to-click, which is possible with libinput but disabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      I tried xf86-input-libinput on my synaptics trackpad laptop. My main complaints are that two-finger scrolling is a bit oversensitive and there is no easy way to enable tap-to-click, which is possible with libinput but disabled by default.
      Similar results with KDE. I tried to play with the new KCM, but it is much more stripped down, so not as usable. I understand that the reduced configurations make sense from an abstract level (touchpad shouldn't access the keyboard for disable-while-typing) and such, but I switched back to -synaptics after a few days. Really it was the 2-finger scrolling speed that I couldn't live with.

Comment

I also can't control pointer acceleration.
        Code:
        Section "InputClass"
          Identifier "AccelSpeed"
          MatchDriver "libinput"
          Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
        EndSection
        does nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          I also can't control pointer acceleration.
          Code:
          Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "AccelSpeed"
            MatchDriver "libinput"
            Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
          EndSection
          does nothing.
          Works fine for me. You're probably missing this:
          The driver ignored my xorg configuration. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I tried to track down the error and came up with this solution. The device is closed after DEVICE_INIT so we need to...

Comment

Tips for people having trouble with libinput

Hi,

One of the upstream libinput devs here.

So for those of you having trouble with 2 finger scrolling, I assume the problem is that the scrolling is too fast, correct ?
            What about the regular pointer speed, is that ok, or too fast too? And for noth are they slightly too fast, or much too fast ?

As for people not being able to configure things, if your on an up2date Fedora 22 snapshot and using gnome / kde
            you should be able to enable / disable tap to click by just using the config panel. If you're not on F-22 you can still
            configure things from the commandline, e.g. do:

[hans@shalem ~]$ xinput list
            ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
            ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
            ⎜ ↳ USB OPTICAL MOUSE id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
            ⎜ ↳ Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
            ⎜ ↳ SINO WEALTH USB Composite Device id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
            ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
            ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
            ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
            ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
            ↳ Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
            ↳ Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
            ↳ SINO WEALTH USB Composite Device id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
            ↳ Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio DAC id=14 [slave keyboard (3)]

And then:

[hans@shalem ~]$ xinput list-props 8
            Device ' USB OPTICAL MOUSE':
            Device Enabled (132): 1
            Coordinate Transformation Matrix (134): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
            libinput Accel Speed (264): -0.469058
            libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (265): 0
            libinput Send Events Modes Available (250): 1, 0
            libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (251): 0, 0
            libinput Left Handed Enabled (266): 0
            libinput Scroll Methods Available (267): 0, 0, 1
            libinput Scroll Method Enabled (268): 0, 0, 0
            libinput Button Scrolling Button (269): 0
            Device Node (252): "/dev/input/event5"
            Device Product ID (253): 5593, 2639

[hans@shalem ~]$ xinput set-float-prop 8 "libinput Accel Speed" -1

And now I've configured my mouse to the slowest setting, the accel scale goes from -1.0 to +1.0 with 0.0 being the default.

You can enable tap to click in a similar manner.

Regards,

Hans

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
              Works fine for me. You're probably missing this:
              https://github.com/whot/xf86-input-l...b8f9f4efc3a8a0
              I am using Arch and said fix is already applied to the package :\

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                I am using Arch and said fix is already applied to the package :\
                I use this, it cover both evdev and libinput and works fine for me:
                Code:
                Section "InputClass"
                        Identifier "My Mouse"
                        MatchIsPointer "yes"
                        Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
                        Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
                        Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
                EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                  Similar results with KDE. I tried to play with the new KCM, but it is much more stripped down, so not as usable. I understand that the reduced configurations make sense from an abstract level (touchpad shouldn't access the keyboard for disable-while-typing) and such, but I switched back to -synaptics after a few days. Really it was the 2-finger scrolling speed that I couldn't live with.
                  Actually... If input is going to a game, disabling the touchpad while typing is wrong. In a game you want to be able to give mouse and keyboard input simultaneously. The best way to handle this would be for applications to say "I don't want you to block input for this [window/application]" much like the powermanagement protocol that prevents automatic screen dimming and locking while a video is playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Actually... If input is going to a game, disabling the touchpad while typing is wrong. In a game you want to be able to give mouse and keyboard input simultaneously. The best way to handle this would be for applications to say "I don't want you to block input for this [window/application]" much like the powermanagement protocol that prevents automatic screen dimming and locking while a video is playing.
                    THIS. the problem also exists with synaptics where I have to switch manualy every time I want to game with touchpad+keyboard.
                    Would be a nice feature to have in libinput and a reason to switch!

Comment

Working...
                    X