X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crazy ppl make new distro instead of adding package to existing one

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
      Dude....just go use PClinuxOS and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Meanwhile I'll be happy with my Opensuse XFCE, Gnome 3 Arch Linux, and working on getting Ubuntu 15.04 Enlightenment 19 up and running. The rest of the world has decided that fragmented crap and fuc*ed up init scripts are terrible. Live with it or go make your own alternatives and be praised by the 20 other people that share your irrational hatred of Systemd.
      The problem with SystemD is not the techonology itself but rather that it is Linux specific and lots of other software hook into it. Software no longer works on BSD, OSX and Linux like it used to. That was one of Linux' strengths, and what set it apart from the bastard child of operating systems; Windows.

SystemD is turning Linux into a Windows of sorts. Isolated, lonely and with lots of special stuff that doesn't work on other closely related operating systems. I don't hate SystemD for what it is, but I am a bit worried about the impact and consequences it will have on the POSIX eco-system.

Comment

About SystemD

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
        Dude....just go use PClinuxOS and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Meanwhile I'll be happy with my Opensuse XFCE, Gnome 3 Arch Linux, and working on getting Ubuntu 15.04 Enlightenment 19 up and running. The rest of the world has decided that fragmented crap and fuc*ed up init scripts are terrible. Live with it or go make your own alternatives and be praised by the 20 other people that share your irrational hatred of Systemd.
        The problem with SystemD is not the techonology itself but rather that it is Linux specific and lots of other software hook into it. Software no longer works on BSD, OSX and Linux like it used to. That was one of Linux' strengths, and what set it apart from the bastard child of operating systems; Windows.

SystemD is turning Linux into a Windows of sorts. Isolated, lonely and with lots of special stuff that doesn't work on other closely related operating systems. I don't hate SystemD for what it is, but I am a bit worried about the impact and consequences it will have on the POSIX eco-system.

Comment

Killed by systemd.

And counting...
          Last edited by dungeon; 06 February 2015, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Killed by systemd.

And counting...
            Shut up. This had nothing to do with systemd. I'm getting really sick of you morons bringing systemd into every single news story.

And I smell some ugly journalism on Michael's part. He completely omits the important parts in this (possibly to make this sound like a systemd thing):

at the time, there was no LXDE tasksel in Debian and certainly no Lubuntu around. CrunchBang filled a gap and that was nifty.
            It's pretty obvious that his argument was that #! doesn't fill a gap anymore, really. It was just debian with some defaults changed.

The omissions plus the sensationalized title grants Michael the "shittiest journalist of the year" award. Shame on you for the horrible quality of your articles. You keep talking about how you have so little time to do anything when the only thing you do well (your test suite) is hidden amongst a million different articles that spread inaccuracies and controversy.

Shame on you.

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
              Shut up.
              Thank you.

Comment

+1 to trolls needing to STFU about systemd in this topic. It's completely unrelated and users could use alternatives like Gentoo or Devuan if they find it objectionable.

The #! lead developer is recommending that its users transition to vanilla Debian and use tasksel/metapackages to quickly build a minimal system. That gives users more choice without them needing to completely customize package selection.

It's pretty obvious that his argument was that #! doesn't fill a gap anymore, really. It was just debian with some defaults changed. The omissions plus the sensationalized title grants Michael the "shittiest journalist of the year" award.
                What article did you read? The article is mostly a quote, which makes it very clear that the lead dev feels the gap has narrowed and has since been filled by other initiatives in upstream Debian. There's nothing wrong with the title either. Phoronix certainly has its share of sensational/clickbait articles and titles (see the recent one about Hurd), but this isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  +1 to trolls needing to STFU about systemd in this topic. It's completely unrelated and users could use alternatives like Gentoo or Devuan if they find it objectionable.
                  You can use Debian without systemd still, corenominal won't to a job around systemd for #! - that is true .

The #! lead developer is recommending that its users transition to vanilla Debian and use tasksel/metapackages to quickly build a minimal system. That gives users more choice without them needing to completely customize package selection.
                  I am an openbox user on Debian years before someone maded lxde around it and might be even before corenominal... at least no one needs to tell me that i do that 12 years ago and now too

SystemD divided community that is, i don't care if it is good (or how usefull it is) or not.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 06 February 2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                    OpenBox is dead, though you might see a minor release fixing a few bugs once every few years
                    Ha, ha, dead Do you know what is an official credo for Openbox, that is a feature not a bug

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Ha, ha, dead Do you know what is an official credo for Openbox, that is a feature not a bug
                      There's almost always room for improvement or bugs to be fixed in projects and you usually need update such projects like Openbox to maintain compatibility with newer libraries and other build dependencies, or even take advantage of new features of the libraries. There doesn't always have to be major functional changes

Also, was the twitter screenshot really necessary, especially the fact that it was of the whole window?
                      Last edited by Ouroboros; 06 February 2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X