Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CrunchBang Is The Latest Linux Distribution Calling It Quits

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    OpenBox is dead, though you might see a minor release fixing a few bugs once every few years
    I'm going to put this here in case anyone wants to help make it less deader:

    https://github.com/danakj/openbox/

    Comment


    • #12
      I am quite sad, it was the ideal distro for my netbook. I used it a lot. Rock stable unlike lubuntu and preconfigured.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        CrunchBang was bloody amazing and corenominal is an awesome guy; I wish him the best.
        Crunchbang will always be in my top 10 favourite Linux distros.
        He'll always be in my heart/HDD.

        Comment


        • #14
          Times are changing. I feel nostalgic. CrunchBang#! was a really cool distro.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by cocklover View Post
            So progress is Corporations like Red Hat imposing systemd to crush other alternative distros to Fedora and Red Hat? Buying Centos to changing his proupose to not be red hat alternative? Sure, the progress is more like Getting walmarks on your town crushing local and small businnes atended by his owners yep. Embrace the progress. Embrace systemd. Embrace Red Hat.
            Dude....just go use PClinuxOS and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

            Meanwhile I'll be happy with my Opensuse XFCE, Gnome 3 Arch Linux, and working on getting Ubuntu 15.04 Enlightenment 19 up and running. The rest of the world has decided that fragmented crap and fuc*ed up init scripts are terrible. Live with it or go make your own alternatives and be praised by the 20 other people that share your irrational hatred of Systemd.

            Comment


            • #16
              "Haters Gonna Hate", huh?

              Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              Dude....just go use PClinuxOS
              Fair enough comment.....

              Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

              Meanwhile I'll be happy with my Opensuse XFCE, Gnome 3 Arch Linux, and working on getting Ubuntu 15.04 Enlightenment 19 up and running. The rest of the world has decided that fragmented crap and fuc*ed up init scripts are terrible. Live with it or go make your own alternatives and be praised by the 20 other people that share your irrational hatred of Systemd.
              Totally unwarranted "attitude" and actually quite outright inflammatory...and does nothing more than "fanning the SystemD flamewar".

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by cocklover View Post
                So progress is Corporations like Red Hat imposing systemd to crush other alternative distros to Fedora and Red Hat? Buying Centos to changing his proupose to not be red hat alternative? Sure, the progress is more like Getting walmarks on your town crushing local and small businnes atended by his owners yep. Embrace the progress. Embrace systemd. Embrace Red Hat.
                meanwhile, Redhat is one of biggest contributors to Linux and OSS.

                how CentOS is not RHEL alternative anymore? CentOS is still 1:1 RHEL and still free, just as it was. the only thing that changed is lower delays to updates

                what work on Fedora is not accessible to other distros and at the same time it would have crushing impact?

                if you try trolling... at least chose topic you at least have some clue. systemd is not the topic you could present any opinion that makes sense, since you have no clue how it works or why it works as it does

                Comment


                • #18
                  Not A Bad Idea

                  Originally posted by Creak View Post
                  I think it's a wise decision. And I'm sure that a guy with his experience would be widely welcome in any other distribution out there.
                  Maybe it's time for Linux to stop spreading new distributions every day and find common grounds?
                  I would be happy if the Linux community could settle on 2 or 3 ways to do the same thing.

                  That approach appears to work with:

                  GNOME, KDE, the "others", and the "lightweights"

                  NTPD and OpenNTPD

                  GNU family of compilers and CLANG

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    I think there are too many desktop distributions. It's a waist of human power for a saturated market. I think if you have the passion at building distros, maybe you should dedicate your time at developing a distro for a different market. For example a linux distro specifically design for robots. No graphics, but RTOS, easy to install, to program using wifi and why not with a gpgpu for developing vision algorithms. The challenges are very different from a desktop distro.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by boffo View Post
                      I think there are too many desktop distributions. It's a waist of human power for a saturated market. I think if you have the passion at building distros, maybe you should dedicate your time at developing a distro for a different market. For example a linux distro specifically design for robots. No graphics, but RTOS, easy to install, to program using wifi and why not with a gpgpu for developing vision algorithms. The challenges are very different from a desktop distro.
                      Or just work on one of the other distros. You don't have to run the whole show to be productive, there is a huge amount of work to be done pretty much everywhere.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X