X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    For what gain? Old languages continue to be supported, moving may cost a huge amount, and bring no advantages at all. It may even bring disadvantages, like C++14 prevents your code from being built with old compilers, from running on such systems without shipping libstdc++ and all the complications that causes...

It may be simply stupid to move to latest whizz, with the only gain being bragging rights.
    For what I've seen with c++ people pick highest version supported by chosen development tools. The versions tend to always be significant enough improvements it makes sense to pick newest when starting new projects. Porting old projects is expensive and probably not worth it

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    That is like telling a C++ programmer it is somebody's else's problem to move his code to C++ 14! It is the developers responsibility to evolve his code to support the latest language concepts and features.
    For what gain? Old languages continue to be supported, moving may cost a huge amount, and bring no advantages at all. It may even bring disadvantages, like C++14 prevents your code from being built with old compilers, from running on such systems without shipping libstdc++ and all the complications that causes...

It may be simply stupid to move to latest whizz, with the only gain being bragging rights.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by niner View Post
    Because lazyness is the only reason for not moving to Python 3?
    Actually sometimes it is the only reason. Beligerance seems to be another problem.
    So who will be paying the porting of > 1 million Python expressions in ~ 220000 website templates we have?
    I know, stupid us for relying on Python in the first place.
    That is like telling a C++ programmer it is somebody's else's problem to move his code to C++ 14! It is the developers responsibility to evolve his code to support the latest language concepts and features.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    The whole problem with python3 adoption is the libs. A very high amount of libs still have not moved to py3, and are keeping the world on py2, make dev write apps for py2, write more libs for py2 etc...
    That is a far smaller number of libs than any time in he past. The number is so small it doesn't really matter anymore.
    I guess somebody in the python camp should show some balls and announce a definite end of life for py2. Only then will the world move on.
    No it it's time for the user base to wise up and move on. Reject thise Libs that haven't been upgraded and make sure the authors know why!

Leave a comment:

• niner
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    I guess somebody in the python camp should show some balls and announce a definite end of life for py2. Only then will the world move on.
    Because lazyness is the only reason for not moving to Python 3?

So who will be paying the porting of > 1 million Python expressions in ~ 220000 website templates we have?
    I know, stupid us for relying on Python in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• niner
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    I fear the day some dum-ass distro "upgrades" /usr/bin/perl to Perl 6. It is 14 years old now, so it is about time right??
    Synopsis 1 says that unless there's clear indication that code is written in Perl 6 (like use v6, a Perl 6 interpreter if invoked as "perl", will assume that it is being fed Perl 5 code. It will then hand off processing to Perl 5.

Perl people take backwards compatibility very serious.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    About time.
    Took the words right out of my finger tips! Red hats feet dragging here has been deplorable.

Leave a comment:

• Cyber Killer
    replied
    The whole problem with python3 adoption is the libs. A very high amount of libs still have not moved to py3, and are keeping the world on py2, make dev write apps for py2, write more libs for py2 etc...

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    I really don't understand why it is necessary to change /usr/bin/python to version 3. Since the major version are effectively separate languages and can coexists, why not leave the interpreter for python 3 as /usr/bin/python3? Or would that just break too little?

I fear the day some dum-ass distro "upgrades" /usr/bin/perl to Perl 6. It is 14 years old now, so it is about time right??
    Last edited by carewolf; 20 January 2015, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
    Within a major version (2 or 3), all spec revisions are backward-compatible with existing versions.
    All code written to run on 3.1 will run perfectly on 3.4 or any future 3.x version.

Code that uses features introduced in a particular version won't run on an interpreter that only supports an older version. Code written using 3.3 features will run perfectly on 3.4, but will fail on 3.1 or 3.2.
    Since the whole point of language changes is to add new things that weren't available in prior versions, that applies to every other language too (C++11 code won't compile on old compilers, Java 8 code won't run on v7 JREs).
    There is no such guarantee that code written in Python 3.1 will work with Python3.4. It often does but if there's good enough reasons, backwards-compatibility can and will be broken. The difference between version bumps and 2->3 was mainly that there was no deprecation period, interfaces just changed and things went away as was deemed sensible at that time. It is *not* safe to update Python without reading release notes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X