Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python 3 Is Close To Becoming The Default In Fedora 22

Phoronix: Python 3 Is Close To Becoming The Default In Fedora 22

For Python stakeholders using Fedora, the Fedora 22 release is preparing to ship Python 3 as the one and only Python implementation on the installation media...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About time.

Comment

Sweet, hope Debian and Ubuntu follows suit.

If you have old Python 2 code, port it to Python 3 with 2to3.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Why? Python 2.7 is still very widely uselly and supported. Most of professional development are in Python 2.7. e.g OpenStack. Google App engine only support python 2.7. Django start to support to python 3 in 2013... And if you start to develop on python 3 you have distros with python 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and when the update come you have to move again you old code to the new version... so not really interested right now on python 3.x. And we lacked of mysql connector for windows for a very long time... so not thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Sweet, hope Debian and Ubuntu follows suit.

If you have old Python 2 code, port it to Python 3 with 2to3.

Why? Python 2.7 is still very widely uselly and supported. Most of professional development are in Python 2.7. e.g OpenStack. Google App engine only support python 2.7. Django start to support to python 3 in 2013... And if you start to develop on python 3 you have distros with python 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and when the update come you have to move again you old code to the new version... so not really interested right now on python 3.x. And we lacked of mysql connector for windows for a very long time... so not thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post

The jump from python2 to python3 is in my eyes a bit more problematic then the jump from 3.3 to 3.4.
            A lot was changed between 2 and 3 (hence the new major number) especially in reagards to how strings are handled.

While porting my code to python3 I found so many possible bugs in my python2 code due to improper encoding handling which I just had not seen before.
            SInce then I always try to write my code in python 3 first and then port it to python 2 if needed. Makes things a lot easier from my point of view.

Comment

And if you start to develop on python 3 you have distros with python 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and when the update come you have to move again you old code to the new version...
              Saying that means that you didn't understood the problem: Python 3 breaks backwards compatibility with Python 2. The reason is that a lot of things in the language got crufty, so the team decided to clean it up. Python 3.2, 3.3, and so on are fully backwards compatible with Python 3. Python 2.7 will keep security updates for several years, but won't have new features.

Comment

Based on my experience, most libraries have moved on and are now properly compatible with python 3. Anything that isn't compatible is some sort of niche that is too complicated to port over. However, I have written a roughly 3000 line program in python 2 and managed to convert it into python 3 while only changing a total of maybe 30 lines of code.

Also, there are several MySQL libraries for python 3.x. I would be surprised if any were explicitly incompatible with Windows.

As others have said, python 3.x is pretty much backward compatible with all of python 3. The way I see it, if you CAN upgrade, do it. Python 3 is taking so long to be adopted because people don't want to spend a few hours just making small tweaks in their code.

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post

The jump from python2 to python3 is in my eyes a bit more problematic then the jump from 3.3 to 3.4.
                  A lot was changed between 2 and 3 (hence the new major number) especially in reagards to how strings are handled.

While porting my code to python3 I found so many possible bugs in my python2 code due to improper encoding handling which I just had not seen before.
                  SInce then I always try to write my code in python 3 first and then port it to python 2 if needed. Makes things a lot easier from my point of view.
                  Linters may also make life easier

Comment

I'll be worth it

Switching to python 3 is taking much longer than expected but I think in the long term the clean-up in the 2.x -> 3.x transition will be worth it.

I specially like:
                    - unicode strings
                    - strings vs data separation
                    - new division behaviour

Comment

Working...
                    X