Python 3 Is Close To Becoming The Default In Fedora 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
    And we lacked of mysql connector for windows for a very long time... so not thanks...
    Python 2 (many people refuse to use newer Python versions) is security supported until 2020.
    Windows 7 (many people refuse to use newer Windows versions) is security supported until 2020.
    Python 2 is apparently the only version which has certain important things working on Windows.

Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
      Saying that means that you didn't understood the problem: Python 3 breaks backwards compatibility with Python 2. The reason is that a lot of things in the language got crufty, so the team decided to clean it up. Python 3.2, 3.3, and so on are fully backwards compatible with Python 3. Python 2.7 will keep security updates for several years, but won't have new features.
      Well, In the past I have managed to write two pyqt minor programs on Arch Linux , then I tried to run on Ubuntu but It won't work. I believe was some internal python oop changes, and sure, was easy to make it work changing some lines but it was a little program and was very annoying have to make the changes, where are talking about minor version changes of python numeration. I'm not sure if I was using python 3.3 on arch linux and python 3.2 on Ubuntu or vice versa. But are you telling that we need to develop for python 3 cause python new versions are fully backward compatible with him? or are every version fully backward campatible e.g 3.3 with 3.2? cause It doesn't look like that in my experience.

Comment

Why? Python 2.7 is still very widely used and supported.
        Why? Because 3 > 2 and new versions are automatically better**. Some people will tell you that every chance they get, even if they never wrote a Python program or know anything about your usage scenario...
        Seriously, the article was about removing python2 from Fedora install media because there's not much that depends on it and it's taking up space. The article was NOT about killing/obsoleting Python 2 entirely.

**Note: This is true until you get to version 9, and then 7 will eat 9, as is my understanding. I guess that's why MS skipped Windows 9.

Comment

Well, In the past I have managed to write two pyqt minor programs on Arch Linux , then I tried to run on Ubuntu but It won't work. I believe was some internal python oop changes, and sure, was easy to make it work changing some lines but it was a little program and was very annoying have to make the changes, where are talking about minor version changes of python numeration. I'm not sure if I was using python 3.3 on arch linux and python 3.2 on Ubuntu or vice versa. But are you telling that we need to develop for python 3 cause python new versions are fully backward compatible with him? or are every version fully backward campatible e.g 3.3 with 3.2? cause It doesn't look like that in my experience.
          Within a major version (2 or 3), all spec revisions are backward-compatible with existing versions.
          All code written to run on 3.1 will run perfectly on 3.4 or any future 3.x version.

Code that uses features introduced in a particular version won't run on an interpreter that only supports an older version. Code written using 3.3 features will run perfectly on 3.4, but will fail on 3.1 or 3.2.
          Since the whole point of language changes is to add new things that weren't available in prior versions, that applies to every other language too (C++11 code won't compile on old compilers, Java 8 code won't run on v7 JREs).

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
            Within a major version (2 or 3), all spec revisions are backward-compatible with existing versions.
            All code written to run on 3.1 will run perfectly on 3.4 or any future 3.x version.

Code that uses features introduced in a particular version won't run on an interpreter that only supports an older version. Code written using 3.3 features will run perfectly on 3.4, but will fail on 3.1 or 3.2.
            Since the whole point of language changes is to add new things that weren't available in prior versions, that applies to every other language too (C++11 code won't compile on old compilers, Java 8 code won't run on v7 JREs).
            There is no such guarantee that code written in Python 3.1 will work with Python3.4. It often does but if there's good enough reasons, backwards-compatibility can and will be broken. The difference between version bumps and 2->3 was mainly that there was no deprecation period, interfaces just changed and things went away as was deemed sensible at that time. It is *not* safe to update Python without reading release notes

Comment

I really don't understand why it is necessary to change /usr/bin/python to version 3. Since the major version are effectively separate languages and can coexists, why not leave the interpreter for python 3 as /usr/bin/python3? Or would that just break too little?

I fear the day some dum-ass distro "upgrades" /usr/bin/perl to Perl 6. It is 14 years old now, so it is about time right??
              Last edited by carewolf; 20 January 2015, 07:07 PM.

Comment

The whole problem with python3 adoption is the libs. A very high amount of libs still have not moved to py3, and are keeping the world on py2, make dev write apps for py2, write more libs for py2 etc...

I guess somebody in the python camp should show some balls and announce a definite end of life for py2. Only then will the world move on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  About time.
                  Took the words right out of my finger tips! Red hats feet dragging here has been deplorable.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    I fear the day some dum-ass distro "upgrades" /usr/bin/perl to Perl 6. It is 14 years old now, so it is about time right??
                    Synopsis 1 says that unless there's clear indication that code is written in Perl 6 (like use v6, a Perl 6 interpreter if invoked as "perl", will assume that it is being fed Perl 5 code. It will then hand off processing to Perl 5.

Perl people take backwards compatibility very serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                      I guess somebody in the python camp should show some balls and announce a definite end of life for py2. Only then will the world move on.
                      Because lazyness is the only reason for not moving to Python 3?

So who will be paying the porting of > 1 million Python expressions in ~ 220000 website templates we have?
                      I know, stupid us for relying on Python in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X