Fedora's FESCo Makes A Bold Move To Try To Release Fedora 22 On Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    Oh, they always *plan* to release on schedule. It's just ṫhat the schedule they end up releasing on is at least a few weeks later than the one they started planning for.
    Not really. Fedora up until this releaase has never really aimed to do a strict time based release schedule. The schedule was always considered flexible to strike a balance between time and features. FESCo has this time tried to do a more strict schedule. We will have to see how that works out.

Comment

Fedora should be more milestone based.

I'm not sure I care what compiler they ship, it is more a desire to see them ship what they say they will sip and not get hung up on a date. Maybe 23 will be all GCC 5 built, it would be nice but I'd rather see the transition done right than to try to nail a date. I don't see any signs that they intended to ship 22 with GCC 5.

Comment

Originally posted by bastiaan View Post
        As a user I much prefer a feature-rich release that's a few weeks late. Always having the latest toolchain is one of Fedora's main selling points.
        They also played around with the concept of tic-toc releases. Fedora 22 would be the stability release while Fedora 23 would be the bleeding-edge release

Comment

F21 took forever to come out, but it was well worth the wait. I understand that GCC5 is a bit unrealistic for a May release, but hardened builds are an important security feature and I wouldn't mind waiting a few weeks longer to have them. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            F21 took forever to come out, but it was well worth the wait. I understand that GCC5 is a bit unrealistic for a May release, but hardened builds are an important security feature and I wouldn't mind waiting a few weeks longer to have them. Just my 2 cents.
            Was it? I was more having a This Better Be The Bloody Last Time feeling. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy the release did come out. F20 just started approaching the point of unusably old before F21 ever came out. I hope F22 to come out without many delays so F20 can finally be put out of maintenance soon

Comment

Who does really care about this? for a desktop user I dont see any benefit from gcc 5.0. Maybe its important for C developers? But I think they will ship the 5.0 compiler just not every package compiled with 5.0 right?

Its not like with python where you need all dependencies portet to a new version before you can port your programm.

I shurly am only ignorant but could somebody tell me why?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                Who does really care about this? for a desktop user I dont see any benefit from gcc 5.0. Maybe its important for C developers? But I think they will ship the 5.0 compiler just not every package compiled with 5.0 right?
                I shurly am only ignorant but could somebody tell me why?
                The changelog says it optimizes Firefox a lot better. That ought to be user-visible, and likely includes all other big C++ apps/libs.

Comment

Just delay it, delaying is common practice and could lead to other things being better tested.

Comment

But I think they will ship the 5.0 compiler just not every package compiled with 5.0 right?
                    There seems to be an ABI change regarding c++11, which to my understanding means that libraries (or programs) (using c++1) that were built with older GCC version will not work together with programs (or other libraries) built with GCC 5.

Comment

But I think they will ship the 5.0 compiler just not every package compiled with 5.0 right?
                      Correct, Fedora 22 will ship with gcc-5, and any packages which have been updated after gcc-5 was added will be build with gcc-5, the only thing which will not happen is to use c++-11
                      mode when building c++ code. gcc will support c++-11 mode, but the distro c++ packages will not be build with it, as that would require a mass rebuild.

Michael can you please update the article to reflect this, the current article is a bit misleading.

Comment

Working...
                      X