Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unless Fedora 22 Is To Be Delayed, GCC 5 Might Not Make It

Phoronix: Unless Fedora 22 Is Willing To Delay, GCC 5 Might Not Make It

While Fedora developers have been trying hard for Fedora 22 to be released on time and be stricter about time-based releases with Fedora releases currently being notorious for delays, there's already some challenges with the fresh Fedora 22 plans for releasing in mid-May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they want to stay bleeding edge then they must delay, especially for such a key component of the typical Linux software stack.

Comment

Why is that Jelinek guy whining? He knows Fedora's release schedule. Maybe he should be faster with gcc 5 ...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Unless Fedora 22 Is To Be Delayed...
        Fedora is always delayed. It's one of the laws of the universe.

Comment

I fully agree that Fedora 22 must come with GCC 5.1.0 (first stable release, new version schema). Otherwise it will not be available for next 6-9 months. This is a major release C++11 ABI changes, C11 default, highly improved sanitizers, APM X-Gene 1 and Cavium Thunder X basic support, etc.

I believe a good number of developers would prefer this in Fedora 22.

GCC is in stage3, there is no need to wait for the final release. You can start rebuilding "world" (all packages) now and start solving the problems. Then you have a month to resolve any leftovers. This would also be a good reg-testing for GCC itself. This is what I usually do, once in stage3 trigger a mass rebuild and start reporting/solving issues.

The impact in schedule should be none to minimal if executed correctly.

+1

Comment

Working...
          X