Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Puts Out Its First Monthly Rolling Media Release

Phoronix: CentOS Puts Out Its First Monthly Rolling Media Release

The CentOS project is beginning to produce monthly re-spins of CentOS 7 that contain all of the updated packages introduced this month. This new CentOS Linux rolling media approach will make it easier to install a fully-updated EL7 system with having to install just minimal updates after the installation...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg1NDY

Awesome, I was JUST having problems with the original iso's installer so hopefully this fixes it

Comment

Maybe all distributions should be doing this?

C'mon this isn't a commercial 1995 operating systems shipped on a CD.
      This is a free software operating system distributed in the Internet age.

Comment

It's nice to have.

Comment

?or just do a network install from a minimal ISO and get all the current packages to start with?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            …or just do a network install from a minimal ISO and get all the current packages to start with?
            Right, because everybody in the world has highly-reliable fibre or broadband subscriptions with download speeds of 100mbps++. /scarcasm

Where I used to work, you'd be lucky to get 2mbps.

Cloning optical media >>> download speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              ?or just do a network install from a minimal ISO and get all the current packages to start with?
              Sure. Assuming the minimal iso has the network and graphics drivers for your latest&greatest fresh-off-the-truck-from-newegg whizbang workstation build. Which fersure wasn't the case at the time I acquired my current Shuttle H67 SNB, or the IVB UEFI notebook I bought eighteen months later. And this has always been the case, and always will be. Keeping the kernel drivers up with the hardware is a never-ending, thankless task. Just ask Michael how much thanks he gets.

Or Karanbir Singh. This is very welcome news whether we thank the CentOS team for it or not.

Comment

Perhaps I was a little short sighted. I normally only install CentOS on well-connected production servers that already have good driver support. I always thought it was an odd choice for a regular home desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Right, because everybody in the world has highly-reliable fibre or broadband subscriptions with download speeds of 100mbps++. /scarcasm

Where I used to work, you'd be lucky to get 2mbps.

Cloning optical media >>> download speed.
                  Actually, it is also quite easy to make a local repo mirror for cases like this. But still nice as a mirror can be also made from the repo on an iso image.

Comment

Working...
                  X