Manjaro 0.8.11 Ships A Linux 3.16 Based Arch Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thundersqueak View Post
    Manjaro is at 3.17.3 so what was your point?Is there a huge security flaw that demands we all upgrade to the latest kernel.Or is it that you read the pointless article here bemoaning the fact that manjaro had not had an update and some dick didn't get his dose of shiny for the week?Really what was your point?The world needs to know....
    What was my point? Answering to a question maybe, that's what the quote feature is for. First time using a forum, eh?
    Everyone above says it has 3.16. So why attack me? Should I have to install it to make sure people are right?

Comment

As I said seconds before your post on this page, Manjaro has series 3.10/12/14/16/17 available. There's linux317-3.17.4-1 available in stable, and linux316-3.16.7.1-1 default built in the ISO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayceman View Post
        Manjaro offers multiple kernel series at once. 3.16 is the base because it will be supported longer, but 3.17, 3.14, 3.12, 3.10 are all available and installable via GUI.
        Interesting
        Thanx for the info. Good to know that manjaro is not behind at all.

Comment

Funny thing, most of linux users have all this "Go research yourself" culture, which btw the Manjaro community hasn't. I feel good having to draw so you can understand.

1-) Manjaro is not ARCH. Repete that to yourself until you realise what this means.
          2) Manjaro has 3 different branches which release pagakes in different paces. So in the unstable branch we have kernel 3.17, testing and STABLE which uses 3.16 kernel. The mistery is solved!

Rolling release has NOTHING to do with bleeding edge packages. One could argue that both usually come together but not true per se. In this case the Manjaro concept itself makes it not true as you are pointing out. IT'S MEANT TO BE THIS WAY. Manjaro tries to deliver a ARCHish (again not arch) experience with no concerns about stability (that's why there are some intended delays).

TBH I can't belive I have to come here and post things so obvious.

Why be so whinny about a Distro you don't even use is what makes me surprised.

Comment

It is whiny-ness on their part, but your point 2 is incorrect (see above post).

Comment

Originally posted by Ayceman View Post
              It is whiny-ness on their part, but your point 2 is incorrect (see above post).
              Indeed I've just checked and I didn't even know I could chose 3.17. I thought it would be only on the unstable branch. Wrong assumption.
              I'll actually up my kernel now thanks to you

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                What was my point? Answering to a question maybe, that's what the quote feature is for. First time using a forum, eh?
                Everyone above says it has 3.16. So why attack me? Should I have to install it to make sure people are right?
                No, you don't have to install it to make sure other people are right, but you should also not make unfounded claims.

Comment

Arch also maintains two (three?) kernels in its official repos. The stock kernel is just the latest stable after a two week delay plus any time for ironing out bugs, they have linux-lts which is currently the lts 3.14 kernel, and linux-grsec which is the grsec patched version of the stable kernel, which is currently at version parity with the stable one but sometimes falls behind or even comes out ahead of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X