Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manjaro 0.8.11 Ships A Linux 3.16 Based Arch Experience

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Manjaro 0.8.11 Ships A Linux 3.16 Based Arch Experience

    Phoronix: Manjaro 0.8.11 Ships A Linux 3.16 Based Arch Experience

    While Manjaro updates were dry the past few weeks, users can rejoice today that Manjaro 0.8.11 is now available as the latest version of this Arch Linux based distribution...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg1MjA

  • #2
    Like the direction

    I really like the new theme. Much better than the last one. Well done !

    Comment


    • #3
      Anyone know if it includes a working fglrx 14.9 in the Manjaro repo's?

      Comment


      • #4
        kernel 3.16

        Huh?
        Kernel 3.16?
        I thought Arch is rolling / bleeding edge. Or is it just manjaro that is behind?

        Whats the point in using rolling with outdated packages? Fedora 20 is not rolling and is at kernel 3.15, so manjaro makes no huge difference here...
        Last edited by tomtomme; 02 December 2014, 03:48 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          Huh?
          Kernel 3.16?
          I thought Arch is rolling / bleeding edge. Or is it just manjaro that is behind?

          Whats the point in using rolling with outdated packages? Fedora 20 is not rolling and is at kernel 3.15, so manjaro makes no huge difference here...
          ...mmh - seems fedora 20 is even at kernel 3.17.3...https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            Huh?
            Kernel 3.16?
            I thought Arch is rolling / bleeding edge. Or is it just manjaro that is behind?

            Whats the point in using rolling with outdated packages? Fedora 20 is not rolling and is at kernel 3.15, so manjaro makes no huge difference here...
            Being rolling has nothing to do with package versions. Rolling is just a package release model where all packages will eventually update without having to reinstall a new image. I guess the two got ideas got conflated because Arch and Gentoo are both rolling and always have software that was just deemed stable by the various upstreams.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CTown View Post
              Being rolling has nothing to do with package versions. Rolling is just a package release model where all packages will eventually update without having to reinstall a new image. I guess the two got ideas got conflated because Arch and Gentoo are both rolling and always have software that was just deemed stable by the various upstreams.
              Basically all distros in reality work that way. A distribution upgrade like with Ubuntu or Fedora does not mean you reinstall a new image. You just update packages to a newer set of packages. Reinstalling is typically only really required when formatting system partitions to get a different filesystem.
              Last edited by nanonyme; 02 December 2014, 05:21 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                I thought Arch is rolling / bleeding edge. Or is it just manjaro that is behind?
                Arch has 3.17.4-1 at the moment. Manjaro is behind. Even Fedora is.

                Comment


                • #9
                  and?

                  Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Arch has 3.17.4-1 at the moment. Manjaro is behind. Even Fedora is.
                  Manjaro is at 3.17.3 so what was your point?Is there a huge security flaw that demands we all upgrade to the latest kernel.Or is it that you read the pointless article here bemoaning the fact that manjaro had not had an update and some dick didn't get his dose of shiny for the week?Really what was your point?The world needs to know....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Manjaro offers multiple kernel series at once. 3.16 is the base because it will be supported longer, but 3.17, 3.14, 3.12, 3.10 are all available and installable via GUI.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X