No announcement yet.

The Switch To Systemd Will Likely Occur For Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a GR would force me to support arbitrary init systems, i would simply resign if I were a maintainer.

I can only support the init system I use, and unless someone contributes a patch, there won't be support for any other init... that is how OSS works, not by writing stupid GRs to force others to do your job!

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
      Please call by proper name: systemd
      So then... the only UNIX / POSIX principle that systemd will actually to adhere to, is the naming convention?

Comment

There is a reason that Ubuntu is the most popular desktop, and that's that the people who run it know how to develop an operating system that is actually good for a lot of people's use cases. They probably understand a lot more than the end users, because the end users very seldom know what they want. Why can't you guys just trust that Canonical knows what they are doing? And, if you're not an Ubuntu user, can't you just not interject your useless opinion to something that doesn't affect you? There was a massive hatred of upstart at first yet that turned out fine, and it will be the same way with systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
          There is a reason that Ubuntu is the most popular desktop, and that's that the people who run it know how to develop an operating system that is actually good for a lot of people's use cases. They probably understand a lot more than the end users, because the end users very seldom know what they want. Why can't you guys just trust that Canonical knows what they are doing? And, if you're not an Ubuntu user, can't you just not interject your useless opinion to something that doesn't affect you? There was a massive hatred of upstart at first yet that turned out fine, and it will be the same way with systemd.
          With great power comes great responsibility :>

What I mean is that Canonical not only takes with both hands from open source community and gives very little back (aside from new users, which is great), but also as a puppet master of Ubuntu project, the most popular Linux in the world, it is directly responsible for well being of our beloved ecosystem. That is why people are outraged when Canonical does something controversial.

Problem with Canonical is that they are arrogant and their promises are hollow - they announce millions things and rarely deliver (and if they do, never on time).

Oh and btw, I was using Ubuntu for last four years as my main OS, switched to Arch a month ago and the change is almost like coming from Windows to Ubuntu, so much freedom (and so much to learn, again)!

Comment

Working...
          X