Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Devise New Terminal & Calculator Apps

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Devise New Terminal & Calculator Apps

Among the "Ubuntu Apps" being discussed for development today during the final day of this first Ubuntu 15.04 Online Summit is the planned improvements to the calculator and terminal applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

New Terminal & Calculator Apps

Yeah! Now the Ubuntu Team is showing off they are really serious with this Linux thing.
    When the going gets tough ...

Comment

Q: Why does the terminal look like a kaleidoscope?
      A: We are trying to be different.
      "Oh god I'm having a seizure"

Comment

Ok, I guess I'll be the first on topic and serious comment here:

I really would love to see a scientific mode that has the functions of a TI-30X IIS (http://education.ti.com/en/us/produc.../tabs/overview). It is honestly the best calculator ever designed for economists, physicists, biologists, chemists, and mathematicians ever built and it is only $10 at walmart! (big deal considering the quality with such a low price). I know it may be lame to sing praises of a calculator, but I've never found a calculator for everyday calculations that reaches anywhere near the excellence of this one.

If they built this beast's functionality into a phone calculator, it would be amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Ok, I guess I'll be the first on topic and serious comment here:...
          I meant to be really serious.
          Among all things Ubuntu needs now to be a better distro (not the best one), I don't see room for a new terminal and a new calculator.
          For example:
          • some more attention to "upstream" application version advancements
          • better quality control (especially when patching existing software)
          • fewer blatant announcements ... like the one in the OP
          • fewer resources in eyecandies
          • merge Wayland in instead of spending resources in reinventing the hot water
          • admit mistakes and fix them

Then, a TI-30XIIS sells for about EUR 30.- on Amazon and Qalculate sells for free.
          Last edited by Uqbar; 14 November 2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Crazy Idea

With KDE and Unity both rewritting their desktops and apps in QML why do they not try to combine their efforts - the power of two versus the power of one. This would also really help "unify" the Linux desktop.

Comment

I really would love to see a scientific mode that has the functions of a TI-30X IIS (http://education.ti.com/en/us/produc.../tabs/overview). It is honestly the best calculator ever designed for economists, physicists, biologists, chemists, and mathematicians ever built and it is only $10 at walmart! (big deal considering the quality with such a low price). I know it may be lame to sing praises of a calculator, but I've never found a calculator for everyday calculations that reaches anywhere near the excellence of this one.

If they built this beast's functionality into a phone calculator, it would be amazing!
              What specific functionality does it have that smartphone calculators don't? At least looking at the list of features I have used a good half dozen android apps with similar lists of features.

Comment

I use Octave for all my calculation needs. You have a command history, tab completion, plotting and plethora of built-in functions (even more from Octave-Forge). I also use it on my Android phone but it's just a direct port/compile of the desktop version. It'd be nice to have a phone/tablet friendly UI or a more math friendly built-in software keyboard. Plotting isn't ideal either.

Comment

The question is do they have anything except terminal and calculator? I'm not a fan of Android but last time I checked Play Store had thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of apps.

Having a (hopefully) open platform and (more or less) actual Linux instead of Android is great of course but commercial success will depend on other factors.

Comment

Ok, I guess I'll be the first on topic and serious comment here:

RPN is absolutely crucial on a number crunching calculator.

Comment

Working...
                    X