Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux Will Work To Slowly Demphasize 32-bit

Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux Will Work To Slowly Demphasize 32-bit

Canonical isn't yet prepared to drop 32-bit Ubuntu ISOs outright, but over time -- and particularly at or just after Ubuntu 16.04 -- they will work to demphasize the existence of the 32-bit releases and work to push more users to 64-bit Ubuntu as a main focus...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

32-bit UEFI on a 64-bit CPU alongside 64-bit Windows and/or Ubuntu That does happen.

Comment

Kill it already. 64bit has been around since the Athlon 64 / Pentium D days. So ~9-10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyy00 View Post
        Kill it already. 64bit has been around since the Athlon 64 / Pentium D days. So ~9-10 years.
        And they will only start the process of killing it in 2 years. That's really soft killing. But I don't really care how quicky they get rid of it, it's their problem managing yet another stack.

Comment

Wonder when Arch is going to drop 32 bit. For a very purist distro, it seems odd to me they continue to maintain 32 bit infrastructure when they only support x86.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Wonder when Arch is going to drop 32 bit. For a very purist distro, it seems odd to me they continue to maintain 32 bit infrastructure when they only support x86.
            Plus 3 ARM revisions http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms as well as MIPS http://archlinuxmips.org and probably some others too

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              One of the reasons right now is probably that Steam and its games depend on on lib32 (it's the only reason why I sometimes have to enable the multilib repos).
              What I'd like an explanation for is why even games that are widely considered graphical benchmarks like Crysis 3 still only ship with 32 bits binaries (or if they do have 64bits versions, 32 are the default)?

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                Plus 3 ARM revisions http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms as well as MIPS http://archlinuxmips.org and probably some others too
                Those aren't part of the parent distribution, they are separate projects run by separate people. With some overlap. I mean, it is the way it should be - I could easily imagine a community forming around a third party maintaining packages for i686 like with ARM and MIPS.

One of the reasons right now is probably that Steam and its games depend on on lib32 (it's the only reason why I sometimes have to enable the multilib repos).
                What I'd like an explanation for is why even games that are widely considered graphical benchmarks like Crysis 3 still only ship with 32 bits binaries (or if they do have 64bits versions, 32 are the default)?
                Shader code does not care about the CPUs architecture. Albeit, it seems silly or Steam to be all 32 bit - would have been a great opportunity to have all games shipping 64 bit only. Not like 32 bit hardware can run many modern titles anyway.

Comment

Another reason to question the value of Ubuntu

Seriously guys, 32 but hardware was left in the dust ten years ago. Now software does lag but it has be TEN (10) years. Beyond that Ubuntu isn not a embedded distro, as such it needs to be focused on exploiting current hardware. Hell even Apple is pushing developer real hard towards 64 bit support on iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Seriously guys, 32 but hardware was left in the dust ten years ago. Now software does lag but it has be TEN (10) years. Beyond that Ubuntu isn not a embedded distro, as such it needs to be focused on exploiting current hardware. Hell even Apple is pushing developer real hard towards 64 bit support on iOS.
                    So supporting MORE hardware somehow reduces the value of ubuntu?
                    And not an embedded distro: have you seen their *phone* plans?

There are still some Intel Atom devices around which are 32bit. Also lots of people still carry their old netbooks, and it's nice of Ubuntu to still support them. And while 32-bit x86 remains supported by debian most of the work will already be done already.

Comment

Working...
                    X