• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rbmorse
    replied
    32-bit uefi

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
    Is there somewhere an ISO of Ubuntu (or better also for Xubuntu) that supports 32-bit UEFI and installing with support for it?
    I thought UEFI was 64-bit only.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    MATE works great on Ubuntu, can be made to look a lot like Cinnamon with some hacks

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Yeah I need to get MATE myself. I recently upgraded to 14.04 and not only does it have some of the same bugs as 12.04, but now you can't even move the damn window controls to the right.
    I recently switched from Cinnamon to MATE because of short, random video freezes lasting just a few frames triggered by having run Firefox. MATE works very well indeed in Ubuntu, even works well on a tiny netbook I normally ran with IceWM, and also is good on the big video editing boxes. No more video playback/window redrawing micro-stutter, far lighter and faster code path using real compiled binaries instead of all those JS files forked from GNOME 3.

Install MATE right from repo on 14.10 or later (PPA before that), set the panel to your liking, select MATE as your default session, and you are done if you do not need a fancy window manager. Set Marco to enable composition (I think that's the default) so you can use rgba graphics on the desktop unless using really old hardware. Of course in the old days on good hardware we had compiz with GNOME 2, this is not so easy anymore but can be done. Now I will explain how to do a stunning and very smooth running compiz-MATE with gorgeous cairo-dock menus. This is to work around GTK theming limitations and upstream changes that have made compiz harder to support.

You can run MATE with compiz, just like in the old days. in Dconf (with MATE 18) go to org/mate/desktop/session/required-components and replace "marco" with "compiz" in the window manager string. You have Compiz installed by default in upstream Ubuntu, but won't in a MATE respin. Since I do not have Unity installed, I do not know if compiz will use the "default" profile or will also start Unity, however. With Unity not installed, upstream GNOME or MATE changes (not sure which) cause an ugly window border theme bug: metacity/marco can no longer communicate the window border theme to compiz! The only fix is to install Emerald and theme it yourself to match your metacity/marco theme. Expect to take hours doing this but only have to do it once.

Next up, mate-panel uses normal GTK widgets for menus, etc and unlike GNOME or Cinnamon cannot be separately themed except for the panel itself(not the menus). Because of that, I ended up using cairo-dock to draw the menu, launchers, and system tray, launched from a script bearing the command

cairo-dock --keep-above

so it would alway be rendered over a portion of the mate-panel I keep empty, Now it looks a lot line Cinnamon with the GNOME theme but performs like MATE and compiz do, with no stutter, and very smooth window management and even smooth transition to the compiz-expo workspace overview that works like the one in Cinnamon but so much smoother,

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Acually, scratch that; it's not 5 releases.

It's 7 friggin kernel releases.

I first experienced in in v3.11. 3.12 didn't solve anything. 3.13 seemingly stopped the gpu lockups.

3.14-3.15 --> no luck on my end. And based on what I am seeing, 3.16 - 3.18rc are all no good as well.

7 kernel releases and the problem remains unfixed. So much for "Linux is ready for the desktop".

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    I didn't know there was a workaround.

Actually the bug appears to be more than one bug. They fixed a problem with the 3.17 kernel and there are still black screens occuring (but these are recoverable from).
    It's not seen as a workaround because adding AccelMode "EXA" to xorg.conf immediately kills all manner of hardware acceleration in all hardware using the radeonSI driver.

And Gnome 3 / Cinnamon / KDE without hw acceleration, especially on low voltage hardware like Kabini, is almost torture with the crappier-than-crap performance from falling back to llvmpipe. Imagine seeing windows being redrawn frame by frame when moved. Or HTML5 youtube videos crawling an totally unviewable speeds.

But hey at least the whole "gpu lockup" nonsense has gone away, so it's all good! /sarcasm
    Last edited by Sonadow; 24 October 2014, 01:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• riklaunim
    replied
    Is there somewhere an ISO of Ubuntu (or better also for Xubuntu) that supports 32-bit UEFI and installing with support for it?

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post
    When you will be an old man, you will only update from LTS to LTS and your life will be easier
    Reminds me of a guy who updates his software always from LTS-2 to LTS-1 and backports fixes himself to be on the stable side

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by deve View Post
    apt-get dist-upgrade, then restart - oh, kernel panic grub.cfg was generated wrongly. I fixed it, then restart - oh, gdm doesn't start I didn't find the reason, simply installed lightdm.

After every large upgrade I need to spend next two days to workaround bugs in my system... It doesn't matter on which distribution.
    When you will be an old man, you will only update from LTS to LTS and your life will be easier

Leave a comment:

• ua=42
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Hah, so I'm not the only one.

5 kernel releases and still no solution found, and the only workaround available is totally unacceptable (use EXA instead of GLAMOR which essentially destroys all hw acceleration and spikes CPU temperatures like nobody's business).
    I didn't know there was a workaround.

Actually the bug appears to be more than one bug. They fixed a problem with the 3.17 kernel and there are still black screens occuring (but these are recoverable from).

Leave a comment:

• Suzuran
    replied
    Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
    That's why the Ubuntu 6 month cycles on the clock aren't working as well anymore. They have timed it so each release they're 1 version of GNOME behind. Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 was garbage because of it.
    The ironic thing about that is that Ubuntu's release cycle was originally set to follow GNOME's. Did GNOME change their release schedule, or does Ubuntu just have a longer feature freeze? I guess now that there's Shell and Unity, GNOME apps require more Ubuntu-specific patching than they used to.

Leave a comment:

• ngoc1414
    replied
    Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
    That's why the Ubuntu 6 month cycles on the clock aren't working as well anymore. They have timed it so each release they're 1 version of GNOME behind. Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 was garbage because of it.
    I agree with you in terms of clock cycle, perhaps 8 months (like OpenSUSE does) is better. But I dont think that falling behind GNOME 1 ( or even 2 ) version is a problem because I dont see any significant visual change between GNOME 3.10, 3.12 and 3.14 under Unity. I see Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and 14.10 are much more solid, stable and faster than any previous releases. You want a huge number of changes both visual and under the hood ? Wait for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, when Mir will be set as default

Leave a comment:

Working...
X