Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04 Might Be The Distribution's Last 32-Bit Release

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.04 Might Be The Distribution's Last 32-Bit Release

Ubuntu contributor Bryan Quigley is considering a proposal to make Ubuntu 16.04 LTS the last release of Ubuntu with 32-bit installation images...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally a good idea. It's always funny seeing people install a 32-Bit OS on their brand new computer thinking some PAE magic will make it 3x faster than 64-Bit. PAE is stupid and needs to die.
    PAE really really sucks. The biggest single reason to go 64-bit is exactly because of physical address space. Your virtual address space needs to bea multiple of the physical one: when you hit 1GB …

Comment

Well people with 64bit CPUs should install pure 64bit kernel if they use 32bit OS. PAE enabled kernel is only some kind of help for 32bit only CPUs .

Comment

About time. This should have been done long ago...

Comment

While I am glad that they are planning the 32bit drop on a LTS, so there will be a supported product all-the-way to 2012, there are tons of 32 bit devices that are still commonly used. I use an old 2008 laptop as a MAME computer for my arcade cabinet and it is still 32 bit. Also, aren't almost all arm cpu's 32 bit as well as atom processors have only been 64 bit for like a year or two? Seems like there is a ton of 32 bit cpu's still out there.

I guess we can depend on Debain to support 32 bit until 2030 at which point the hardware I mentioned will be useless.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            While I am glad that they are planning the 32bit drop on a LTS, so there will be a supported product all-the-way to 2012, there are tons of 32 bit devices that are still commonly used. I use an old 2008 laptop as a MAME computer for my arcade cabinet and it is still 32 bit. Also, aren't almost all arm cpu's 32 bit as well as atom processors have only been 64 bit for like a year or two? Seems like there is a ton of 32 bit cpu's still out there.

I guess we can depend on Debain to support 32 bit until 2030 at which point the hardware I mentioned will be useless.
            Yes, no matter how ridiculous, you'll always find stuff like this on the internet. Dude, grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              I have broken 32bit Debian Sid installed on Kabini for about 3 months , although that is with kernel 3.17 + all current graphics stack... So Jessie stable will be fine for me and this Ubuntu LTS... but bit after that, i am not sure

But upstream does not care, or care less and less how time goes, Debian will be of little help there... probably Debian will maintain it one release more and drop it, maybe after two releases... ah, it will probably go to ports after that
              Last edited by dungeon; 21 October 2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I don't mind this proposal, saves also people-resources. For people still using very old hardware: buy new one and maybe not the 22nm Haswell generation, but wait for the 14nm generation because it's going to be released in a few months. But until x64-only ISO it a bit more time to wait.
                Last edited by opensource; 21 October 2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Win win for all

Thumbs up!

For users still with 32-bit hardware there are plenty of other distros, so not the end of the world for them either.

Comment

I would recommend Gentoo for those people at first, but I see just one potential problem: compilation time. Anyway, I really think Gentoo will hardly drop some architecture. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ecture_support

Comment

Working...
                    X