Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 21 Is Looking & Working Very Well -- Best Fedora Release Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    I could also compile from source, or write my own version of plasma5, or build a rocket and fly to mars, if I wanted to.
    It's typical Fedora logic, instead of doing what anyone expects (putting out ISOs), they (just like Gnome3) do something else, worse. That's why I ended up installing Kubuntu's plasma5.
    I doubt a rocket built of sarcasm would fly all the way to Mars

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I could also compile from source, or write my own version of plasma5, or build a rocket and fly to mars, if I wanted to.
      It's typical Fedora logic, instead of doing what anyone expects (putting out ISOs), they (just like Gnome3) do something else, worse. That's why I ended up installing Kubuntu's plasma5.
      You could also just run Gentoo or Arch if that's what you want. Fedora won't ship Plasma 5 before F22. Why? Because Plasma 5 is still very half-baked and most of KDE applications are not ported to it yet. However, even F20 ships the latest Framework libraries now if you actually want to start making next-gen KDE 5 applications or port them. How you manage to perceive not shipping largerly unfinished software as a bad thing is beyond my comprehension. Not doing that is Fedora logic.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        Not sure why you are having any trouble. The very first result for "plasam5 fedora" is

https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/dvratil/plasma-5/
        Fedora user here. Please, wait a bit, Plasma 5.1 packages (what you really want to use, unless you are an English speaking guy who really does not need translations) are not ready, but will be ready soon.

BTW, the only instance of alphaness with Fedora 21 is when I try to run fedup to upgrade my Fedora 20 systems; there is a severe bug with systemd-udevd that prevents updating unless systemd-udevd is killed, plus a beautiful kernel panic if you boot with your Fedora 21 kernel after upgrading. Booting with your last Fedora 20 kernel and reinstalling the kernel package solves everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post

BTW, the only instance of alphaness with Fedora 21 is when I try to run fedup to upgrade my Fedora 20 systems; there is a severe bug with systemd-udevd that prevents updating unless systemd-udevd is killed, plus a beautiful kernel panic if you boot with your Fedora 21 kernel after upgrading. Booting with your last Fedora 20 kernel and reinstalling the kernel package solves everything.
          This is documented at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...ice_Manager.22

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            Yup, but those are normal alpha wrinkles, I'm not complaining . We all know those bugs will be fixed when Fedora 21 Beta hits the servers.

EDIT: Plasma 5.1 packages are ready. Time to test.

Comment

the only problem with Fedora 20 an beyond, it still locks up. but thats fixed with the blob drivers

Comment

My prefered way to install Fedora in the past has been to use the minimal net install image. It basically just boots you into the installer and then downloads the packages you select directly. I've found this saves bandwidth compared to downloading a iso image installing it and then having to download a crap load of updates after you first boot. It also means you don't end up with a bloated system that has a whole lot of packages installed you never use.

I wish they'd promote this image a little bit more for some strange reason the net install image for Fedora 21 alpha is burried on the "server" page and not very easy to locate, I would have expected it listed with the alternate "spins".

I've been bitten too many times by issues with the Fedora upgrade process to fully trust it I keep my /home on a seperate partition and just nuke my / partition and reinstall when its time to upgrade versions.

Comment

I tried Fedora 20 on my main desktop and for some reason it got stuck at the boot process, I suspect that the Nvidia drivers had something to do with it since I installed that before I rebooted. I'm looking forward on Fedora 21 and maybe I will try that a soon it's hits the release.

Comment

We will be renaming DNF I hope...

DNF == Did Not Finish

We don't need Fedora with a horrible package manager name.
                    Last edited by spstarr; 16 October 2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
                      DNF == Did Not Finish

We don't need Fedora with a horrible package manager name.
                      We are so FedUp with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X