Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oracle & Canonical Collaborate Over Their Competing Linux OSes On OpenStack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oracle & Canonical Collaborate Over Their Competing Linux OSes On OpenStack

    Phoronix: Oracle & Canonical Collaborate Over Their Competing Linux OSes On OpenStack

    Oracle and Canonical are in a rare partnership to support Oracle Linux on Ubuntu...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc5NTI

  • #2
    shouldn't this be tagged as joke or satire? both of them don't contribute much, just take other distros work... and now they are collaborating in that aspect?

    Comment


    • #3
      Any harbor in a storm, apparently.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        shouldn't this be tagged as joke or satire? both of them don't contribute much, just take other distros work... and now they are collaborating in that aspect?
        Is both sad and funny. Sad because they took others people work and now they are pushing for it to work in their own terms (instead of pushing when this was first released); and funny because it wont last long, very, very probably.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
          Is both sad and funny. Sad because they took others people work and now they are pushing for it to work in their own terms (instead of pushing when this was first released); and funny because it wont last long, very, very probably.
          Well you can't say Canonical hasn't given anything since they developed Unity (like it or not) which is available to community, also Mark has invested millions on improving the linux OS experience out of the box which has landed in other distros as well. Also bazaar the version control and many other projects like upstart which was abandoned now by systemd, but hey in contrast to Oracle, Canonical has contributed.

          As of today Ubuntu is the most widely used linux distro for desktop usage (im or archlinux but facts are facts) and it got attention from companies like Valve which are now developing games for linux , something that other distros weren't able to do. Valve is using Debian for steamos but they first approached Ubuntu.

          So please, don't spread lies...

          Comment


          • #6
            most of linux was contributed by independent individuals (in total)
            companies, including canonical, among other things give lots of money to core foundations like opendesktop, xorg etc.
            even companies that do not directly profit from linux like intel, amd, samsung, hp and many others (even if they do profit, it does not matter in the grand scheme)

            i guess people only know what they read on some blogs or websites

            @TheOne canonicals contributions to the kernel are also not to be ignored

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              Well you can't say Canonical hasn't given anything since they developed Unity (like it or not) which is available to community, also Mark has invested millions on improving the linux OS experience out of the box which has landed in other distros as well. Also bazaar the version control and many other projects like upstart which was abandoned now by systemd, but hey in contrast to Oracle, Canonical has contributed.

              As of today Ubuntu is the most widely used linux distro for desktop usage (im or archlinux but facts are facts) and it got attention from companies like Valve which are now developing games for linux , something that other distros weren't able to do. Valve is using Debian for steamos but they first approached Ubuntu.

              So please, don't spread lies...
              I know, and I am not spreading lies.

              Being critical to something is not lying; I use Ubuntu myself (to compile Android) and using Arch Linux (like you, in the rest of my computers), by stating what is wrong I just want to make the thing overall better; not what are you saying (where are your facts?) that I am "spreading lies".

              One thing is contributing as Canonical did, but this a different, that the partnership is just for Oracle to catch some money by "impulsing" OpenStack. Just as you said, what has ever Oracle contributed for here?

              So, yes, Canonical has contributed some things, and also created a division on another matters too, you mentioned one, that they now ditched Upstart for systemd; and I understand that one, but the sole reason being that Debian ditched SysVInit, well, seems rather strange. One that is somehow still standing, is Mir, do they seriously need Mir, at all? What's the point? Promising a piece of software as a alternative to X11/Wayland that will end up as vapourware? It will end up that way with Ubuntu Phone; just by looking how the public is interested in adding a whole new operating system for mobile phones.

              I understand that some of their ideas are good, but when you already have a more widely used alternative; on a already limited market (that Linux is in comparison to other OSes), you should create your own? Or you should contribute to the project that seems a little both more mature and more used?


              Yet anyway Canonical doesn't seem to care about those who criticize for them to improve, they just round up all critics and say "as long as we are the most used distro, what we say becomes the truth". Never cared much, that's why my opinion is pretty much my other post from above; is funny for how you think they care, and sad for about the same reason.

              So, for Steam, seriously, you just said the best answer I could gave. "They looked for Ubuntu first, but then they used Debian as their base for their own Distro".

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                Well you can't say Canonical hasn't given anything since they developed Unity (like it or not) which is available to community, also Mark has invested millions on improving the linux OS experience out of the box which has landed in other distros as well. Also bazaar the version control and many other projects like upstart which was abandoned now by systemd, but hey in contrast to Oracle, Canonical has contributed.
                and which distro ships Unity? or better, have you ever asked your self why not?
                bazaar is dead. at least i don't know one single external use
                upstart is not Canonical project, it started dying when Canonical took it over

                funny thing, all those millions seem to miss all community projects and only get into ubuntu. don't get me wrong here, when Canonical announced original plan, i was ecstatic. problem there was that plan didn't follow trough with initial statements, but rather became complete opposite. from "we want to work with community" to "we want to compete with community" salted with occasional marks trolling

                Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                As of today Ubuntu is the most widely used linux distro for desktop usage (im or archlinux but facts are facts) and it got attention from companies like Valve which are now developing games for linux , something that other distros weren't able to do. Valve is using Debian for steamos but they first approached Ubuntu.
                question is not who they approached first, question is why they didn't stick around

                Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                So please, don't spread lies...
                Facts are facts

                Comment


                • #9
                  yes, facts are facts
                  ignoring facts you don't like is lying

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
                    they now ditched Upstart for systemd; and I understand that one, but the sole reason being that Debian ditched SysVInit, well, seems rather strange.
                    i'd say timing of adoption 16.04 is more curious here. it's just about the time frame when debian developers will do all the work

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X