Trying Out The OpenSUSE 13.2 Beta: The Installer Is Still Lacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    I haven't tried openSUSE 13.2 yet, but the openSUSE 13.1 installation took about 15 minutes (I timed it) from the DVD media. That doesn't seem excessive, and it wasn't noticeably slower than when I tried installing Ubuntu a while back.
    I installed a Utopic daily yesterday, and the install time took a few minutes. I recall 13.1 having a fast installation time too (not as fast as Utopic, but still pretty good). Factory seems to take a little bit longer though.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Really? When I used Btrfs, it wasn't partitioned, it just took up the entire volume. So Btrfs was applied to /dev/sdb (NOT /dev/sdb1 for example), and I then mounted this by the volume, so my fstab entry was something like:

Code:
      UUID=DASFKLADJFH27392473   /mnt/mountpoint     brtfs      cantRememberMountingOptions   0 0
      Where 'DASFKLADJFH27392473' was the UUID for the entire btrfs formatted volume, not a partition in sight.

I didn't read too much on it to see whether partitioning was a possibility, but what I did read indicated that Btrfs typically does take up the entire volume, and doesn't allow for a swap partition. So are you sure OpenSUSE uses a swap partition?
      Then you used it weirdly. Btrfs has always been on partitions, not raw drives. You can put it on a raw drive if you want to, but that's neither default nor a good idea. And yes, openSUSE uses a swap partition, as well as a separate partition for /home.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        I installed a Utopic daily yesterday, and the install time took a few minutes. I recall 13.1 having a fast installation time too (not as fast as Utopic, but still pretty good). Factory seems to take a little bit longer though.
        Man i think i've implied it in my main post, others explained it better. We can't simply compare the speed of OpenSUSE install with the Ubuntu setup one because we don't have a common point. They are following different philosophies. Some details bellow

Ubuntu has roughly 700 Mb images that contains only the OS without any chance of customized / advanced user features etc, just the Start -> Next -> Done type of process you can see on Windows 8 for instance. Not to mention that it came with only the Ubuntu made desktop environment (forgot the name) and without any damned utility which has to be downloaded by the user from the internet (they have a pretty nice store btw..i give you that)

OpenSUSE has 4.4 Gb images that contains the OS, several desktop environments (KDE, GNOME, XFCE etc) a huge amount of utilities etc.enough to enable you to use the frikkin computer without any other support. Ofc each person with his / her own needs but still. Also to mention that the OpenSUSE setup is available in every damned format from the simple start -> next -> end type mentioned before to the deep level demanded by the most advanced users.

So explain me please the logic behind simply counting the setup time for these two different distros. IMHO i can't see the point of counting the minutes, unless you're the Is it over? Is it over? Is it over? type of kid

Comment

Working...
        X