Void Linux Drops Systemd & Switches To LibreSSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cryptoahash View Post
    My point is that it is a ripoff from arch linux. Just because he has written the package manager based at looking at the code of pacman. If you look at the source code of both pacman and xbps you will see its very similar.
    The templates and PKGBUILD files are almost the same only that it has different name conventions. Everyone can edit the package manager and rename some parts of code so that it looks different.

Crosscompiling is supported by makepkg anyhow, you just change the flags of the makepkg.conf and start cross compiling.

edit: I am not saying he is lying about writing the package manager. I am just saying it is a re-spin of the code.
    A cursory look at the git repos does not point to a mere respin, lib folders have different stuff, xbps snapshot is much smaller, I'd argue it's faster too but I did not try arch with a recent kernel. The format of packages and configs is irrelevant, like html specs are irrelevant to a browser engine. But let's assume it is indeed a respin, and you would not touch it because it's a me-too distro that adds nothing. But what is the topic again? voidlinux uses runit, arch is systemd oriented. Voidlinux is therefore different enough. I think it deserves a try.

Comment

systemd is an abomination

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

RE: why not systemd
      Very simply: systemd is an abomination of everything thar CRUX is.
      Void Linux has similar goals :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nasyt View Post
        Hem, the guy who posted that is an idiot iPad-user who can?t write a decent mail or make meaningful replies, though. I wouldn?t quote him.

Maybe I?m missing something but based on the mails from the 3 people who answered, the CRUX world seems like a very sad place to be. Someone is asking for help to port Cinnamon and all he gets is "fuck you, go away you noob".

That being said I have downloaded the void-linux iso yesterday and need to try it?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          That being said I have downloaded the void-linux iso yesterday and need to try it?
          Steps to get to a rough but usable voidlinux desktop, HTH

Comment

Working...
          X