Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Alpha Slips By Another Week

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Alpha Slips By Another Week

Jaroslav Reznik of Red Hat announced today that Fedora 21 has slipped by yet another week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Luckily Fedora 20 is properly maintained unlike some other ?supported? distros out there: F20 gets new kernels, new Mesa,?
    I seldom felt so up-to-date with a distro from one year ago.

Comment

This is beginning to look bad.
      I have a feeling F21 will be a less than steller release.

On the other hand, if it installs, Fedora users can usually dance around the rough edges. (E.g. Fedora Core 1, Fedora 8, Fedora 18, etc).
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        This is beginning to look bad.
        I have a feeling F21 will be a less than steller release.

On the other hand, if it installs, Fedora users can usually dance around the rough edges. (E.g. Fedora Core 1, Fedora 8, Fedora 18, etc).
        how so? you consider caring about quality is less important than release date?

and you have to consider 21 is pretty big and bold move from old concept. i'd rather see 1 more extra month and fedora in its usual quality than getting os on date where i need to spend one month fixing it. unlike older fedoras 20 is getting more love in the wait for next.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

and you have to consider 21 is pretty big and bold move from old concept. i'd rather see 1 more extra month and fedora in its usual quality than getting os on date where i need to spend one month fixing it. unlike older fedoras 20 is getting more love in the wait for next.
          pfff did I miss something, except some blabla and some other default images I dont see much new in fc21.

maybe its the problem that I just stop caring so much about gnome, Even wayland stops exciting me, as a tiling wm user it fixes no big issues for u.

if they make me clfswm docker image I start caring

or how about emacs 24.4 (k that is more a problem that emacs never releases this verison ).

and btw there is a copr repository for that if somebody is interested

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            pfff did I miss something, except some blabla and some other default images I dont see much new in fc21.
            Fedora 21 is first release to showcase some of the new efforts. You can think of it as a .0 release for these changes. Having said, there are some interesting changes

* Fedora Atomic with rpm_ostree which allows one to treat os images like commits in a revision control system
            * Cockpit management console in Fedora Server with a pre-configured db server role etc
            * Fedora playground repository
            * Xorg without root
            * First demoable release with Wayland
            * ARM as a first class architecture
            * RPM with support for soft dependencies

Java 8 and format security are pretty relevant for me as well. There is a lot more at

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

OSS projects tend to love slow gradual change and dislike large disruptive changes (E.g. SELinux-enabled-by-default, Systemd-enabled-by-default, PA-enabled-by-default, KDE 4, GNOME 3, Anaconda-NG, etc).
              I understand the reasons behind the long development cycle of F21 and the general concepts behind Fedora-Next, I just hope Fedora devs didn't bit more than they can chew.

FWIW I have no doubts the even if F21 will be a problematic release, (Fedora) history has shown consistently that during the life time of F21 things will improve, and by F23 (F+2), the noise level should be back-to-normal.

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Fedora 21 is first release to showcase some of the new efforts. You can think of it as a .0 release for these changes. Having said, there are some interesting changes

* Fedora Atomic with rpm_ostree which allows one to treat os images like commits in a revision control system
                * Cockpit management console in Fedora Server with a pre-configured db server role etc
                * Fedora playground repository
                * Xorg without root
                * First demoable release with Wayland
                * ARM as a first class architecture
                * RPM with support for soft dependencies

Java 8 and format security are pretty relevant for me as well. There is a lot more at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/21/ChangeSet
                Most of that is pretty server-centric, except maybe the wayland thing but thats also not good enough for production use. arm would be nice but I still will not get a usable xbmc on my cubietruck, and there are still basicly 0 tablets supported by fedora.

So yes its some infrastructure but not much more for me.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  Most of that is pretty server-centric
                  A lot of changes in Workstation is GNOME centric since that is the default desktop. You can find that list at

Having said that, the so called infrastructure changes including Xorg without root affects all users. Desktop users need security too even if they don't directly value it as much.

Comment

Working...
                  X