• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tmpdir
    replied
    Originally posted by Tgui View Post
    Former Slackware user here.

I personally haven't had issues with non-LTS releases. I typically run the latest and greatest on my cheap laptop. I do make a point of running LTS releases on my workstations and servers though.
    Same here... latest version of Ubuntu works great on my desktops. Since a year or so I also use the latest Ubuntu versions on my home and development servers, no issues at all.

In all fairness I am experimenting with Debian, but at this moment I notice their stable releases are missing drivers and the unstables are a bit to unstabel, ubuntu still seem a good choice between new features and stability (although I hate some of their choices like MIR).

Leave a comment:

• verde
    replied
    I agree that the non LTS Ubuntu releases have many bugs that are fixed 1 or 2 months after release. I'll stay with 14.04 till 16.04. I don't care about kernel or mesa updates because I use nvidia GPU.

Leave a comment:

• hagda
    replied
    Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
    Do you really game with open source drivers????
    Yes, why not?

Leave a comment:

• Pajn
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    The latest GNOME is version 3.12, but in Ubuntu many of the components are from 3.10, 3.8 and some even from 3.6.
    This is a good thing, most peaople hate the new Gnome (for good reasons).

Leave a comment:

• Vidar
    replied
    Originally posted by hagda View Post
    I guess the big question is whether Ubuntu 14.10 will ship with Mesa 10.2.x or Mesa 10.3.x (as well as wether LLVM 3.4 vs LLVM 3.5) which will affect the out-of-the-box gaming experience with open source drivers... If it's Mesa 10.2.x + LLVM 3.4 then it'll be rather disappointing for some games :-/
    How is this a problem? You can just use Oibaf's or Xorg Edgers' PPAs

Leave a comment:

• Aleve Sicofante
    replied
    Originally posted by hagda View Post
    I guess the big question is whether Ubuntu 14.10 will ship with Mesa 10.2.x or Mesa 10.3.x (as well as wether LLVM 3.4 vs LLVM 3.5) which will affect the out-of-the-box gaming experience with open source drivers... If it's Mesa 10.2.x + LLVM 3.4 then it'll be rather disappointing for some games :-/
    Do you really game with open source drivers????

Leave a comment:

• Aleve Sicofante
    replied
    Originally posted by Tgui View Post

I personally haven't had issues with non-LTS releases. I typically run the latest and greatest on my cheap laptop. I do make a point of running LTS releases on my workstations and servers though.
    I haven't either, but I believe this time is different. First of all, 14.04 is probably the most polished Ubuntu release ever. Second, the feeling of being forced to upgrade because of the current short life of non-LTS releases has been uncomfortable for me in 13.04 and 13.10. But the most important reason is probably that the upcoming releases will be playing with the evolution of Unity 8, which is great but unlikely to be anywhere close to stability.

Leave a comment:

• Tgui
    replied
    Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
    I'm a long time Ubuntu user and I would advice you against going with anything but LTS releases, especially at this point in Ubuntu's history. We'll see a few "beta-like" releases until 16.04 (April 2016). I'll probably stay on 14.04 until 15.10 myself.

Leave a comment:

• hagda
    replied
    Last edited by hagda; 20 August 2014, 02:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aleve Sicofante
    replied
    Originally posted by Vidar View Post
    I might decide to start using Ubuntu.
    I'm a long time Ubuntu user and I would advice you against going with anything but LTS releases, especially at this point in Ubuntu's history. We'll see a few "beta-like" releases until 16.04 (April 2016). I'll probably stay on 14.04 until 15.10 myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X