Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu MATE On Track To Become An Official Spin

Phoronix: Ubuntu MATE On Track To Become An Official Spin

Ubuntu MATE is making progress as becoming an official Ubuntu derivative using the GNOME2-forked desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news but due to Ubuntu release cycle there won't be an LTS till 2016. And non-LTS releases are hardly useful now having just 9 months till end-of-life.

Comment

hardly why?

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
      Good news but due to Ubuntu release cycle there won't be an LTS till 2016. And non-LTS releases are hardly useful now having just 9 months till end-of-life.
      hardly why? for a daily user? for someone who wants the last software we need to upgrade version to version

Comment

A bit ironic though, Canonical dropped Gnome2 to push Unity and now authorize Gnome2 fork back at home.
        Hummmm... Canonical goal seems to endorse every kind of possible distro and walk on the field of its competitors

Comment

I sure hope the bring back the brown and orange color scheme with this spin. Such fond memories

Comment

I think this is great as MATE would be a great GNOME replacement if they can get it working. I took the latest MATE for a spin when I moved to 14.04 but it doesn't really work with my chosen programs as well as I'd hoped. pSensor and Gnome MPlayer won't work under the latest MATE release and other software was pretty shaky. I'm stuck with Unity for the time being.

Comment

Just a matter of time before we see Flubuntu.

Comment

This is great news for MATE team and a great reward.
                By the way (no rant here) isn't gnome flashback the same ? i use it from time to time and find it very close to what Gnome 2 used to be. Well i might be wrong as i don't have a deep use of it...

Comment

Originally posted by BoPieds View Post
                  This is great news for MATE team and a great reward.
                  By the way (no rant here) isn't gnome flashback the same ? i use it from time to time and find it very close to what Gnome 2 used to be. Well i might be wrong as i don't have a deep use of it...
                  Gnome flashback is gnome3 with metacity and gnome panel.
                  Mate is (a fork of) gnome 2 with metacity and gnome panel

Comment

Yes technologically speaking. But in practice the two are almost identical

Comment

Working...
                    X